Changing the Scratch Sensitivity Nature of Glass

So the window does NOT sound like sandpaper. No ping noises. No nothing. The surface is NOT what we might want to call “bad” or “defective”. And yet it scratches! How is this possible? Have you ever experienced such a thing? I have. In fact I can make glass that is resistance to scratches very prone to scratches. On the other hand I can also make a plate of glass that is very prone to scratching very resistant to scratching. We now have the products and the technology to accomplish this. Does anyone think there is a market for such a service? I am NOT theorizing about this. I have done it. Both ways.

Henry

Bathroom mirrors and glass splash backs in the kitchen, internal glass balustrading are but a few options that would benefit from scratch resistance, I’m experimenting myself with NG1010 which has scratch resistance , a risky way to market it though incase customers think you are providing scratch “proof” rather than resistant, just got to be up front with what it can and can’t do, definitely a market for it

Yes. Education! In the form of videos.

Henry

Oh yes! I cleaned an old exterior bay storm a while back, seemed smooth but once the water was cleared I saw long scratches from my Triumph.

I can count on one hand how many times this has hapoened, it was very weird. It almost seemed the glass was much softer than usual.

I’ll second the shower door glass, got accused of scratching one after doing a GREAT job removing hard water and soap scum. I don’t think I’ll be doing any more.

The process involves polishing and the application of the correct chemistry. Cost should be about four bux a square foot. Profit would be about a hundred per hour. Or you could contract price.

The best way to market is to set up half a mirror square. Make one side scratch sensitive and the other scratch resistant. Then demonstrate by showing how a broken bottle will scratch one side but not the other. To make the glass even more scratch resistant you can use a transparent polyester film over the treated surface. Then if the film is marred it can be pealed off and replaced. If the implement makes it through the new surface will resist even further to prevent scratching. I would charge 4 bux a square foot for the chemical alone. Then another seven bux a square foot for the scratch resistant film. This service as OZ has said would be easier to market on bathroom mirrors and maybe railing glass. Anywhere a vandal might go.

And dc, I have experienced similar scratching on annealed glass. Could easily tell by the rough feeling that the glass was sensitive to scratches. So I am always careful when scraping especially the weather side of old glass.

Henry

Yep, different grades of glass everywhere, gotta watch that and the watermark.

Could we get a small sample of this glass for testing purposes?

Henry