Collateral

Collateral is putting something up as security.

Marketing collateral is used to support a company’s primary advertising message to consumers.

1 Like

collateral is a pretty common sales term. if you havent been in sales, i could see how its confusing.

what we leave behind is most commonly referted to as “collateral”.

so yes words matter. but so does being correct.

In that example “collateral” is being used in the context of already mentioned “sales collateral” from the previous sentence. Difference Matters. :wink:

ive been in sales for 20 years … trust me its a sales term. it means exactly as stated above. we dont say, “sales collateral” we say “collateral”. in the op i even “explained” it because i know not everyone has done sales.

Me too. My military background prompted me to immediately think of “collateral damage.”

I try not to break too many things in people’s homes but there was the time I got tangled up in all the suspended cords and houseplants and fell backwards onto their coffee table. All I broke was a sand dollar but they had more so I didn’t feel bad.

2 Likes

i was in the Army. You?

I was in the Corps when I was younger. Then when Desert Shield got in gear I joined the Guard. Served several decades in the Guard but transferred to the Reserves just before I retired two years ago.

The Reserves is super boring but does do a better job of administrative work, which is critical when trying to get retirement points properly annotated.

1 Like

I didn’t work in sales, but I did work with collections.

That’s why I take the homeowners small pets with me as collateral until they pay. Tried taking their children, but the little ones were irritating little brats and the older ones were video game addicted millennials that the parents were eager to get rid of.

4 Likes

thats awesome. i did a couple joint assignments and jar heads were ok in my book. I was active duty and got out after 8.

1 Like

YOu word “Sales” Before the word “Collateral” Changes the meaning of the second word. (Nouns vs Verb…)

To break that up and just say Collateral and "expect us all to instantly know this, even with you extra minimal details. Is to also expect that when i tell the wife to bring a Chocolate cake to the party, and she brings a milk chololate cake when i really meant a dark chocolate cake… Very confusing…

ANYWAY. Now that we know were talking about Sales Collateral we can begin to be on the same page…

Oh can you bring the MILK chocolate cake to the meeting? : D

1 Like

sales ppl know the term… ppl that i know in corperate offices know the term, marketing ppl know the term, business owners i believe should know the term (especially if u have a sales crews)…u learn it in business 101, or marketing 101, it is not an uncommon term, in fact i think ive even used it here before.

m just because its uncommon to you doesnt mean its incorrect. expand ur knowledge- and now u have.

and if im in a business meeting and i say “collateral” … everyone in there will know im talking about… else they wouldn’t be in that meeting. i don’t have to (and ppl usually don’t) say “sales” collateral. just collateral.
collatetal itself means auxiliary (extra)… hence where in sales, what “extra” did u leave behind? in military “collateral damage” means “extra” damage. (to paraphrase Webster).

1 Like

Cool. I have never heard of sales collateral. Thanks for telling me.

no problem. its just “collateral” though.

ha ha small pets

Pretty sure the root of the word collateral means something like “accompanying.” Most common use of the word collateral is in the legal and banking world.

Actually in the dictionary it is understood to mean something else than what you state - but also as an adjective it is used as “extra”; but in and of itself “collateral” carries a different connotation. But thanks for the sales jargon lesson.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/collateral

1 Like

no problem. i hate that i have to hijack my own thread to give a lesson. only 1 or 2 actually answered the question.

I used to leave magnets but they don’t stick to ss fridges.

2 Likes

I have heard pros and cons about leaving “reminder materials” :wink: behind for window cleaning. I know Plumbers and Electricians are fairly big on it(?), but I have read in other threads that there seems to be little if any return on it for window cleaning. Or maybe those folks who benefit from it are quiet about it.

I think a well written “Thank you card” is enough for a first time customer.

A thank you card and gift card to one their favorite restaurant in town for customers who use your services on a regular basis and refer new customers regularly.