Completed my first two jobs

And a couple of takeaways:

1. Definitely should charge a 1st time cleaning fee
  2. Need to switch between arms, cuz dang my right shoulder is sore!
  3. Need to get proficient at using a pole, cuz like my shoulder, my legs hurt from the ladder.
  4. French panes suck
    A. Don’t rely on pictures, because these French panes weren’t distinguishable based on pics.
  5. Rethink promotional pricing as I don’t feel like I made the pricing worth the time (most likely due to it only being my first time).

Overall, the customers were happy, so I call it a win.

1. Definitely should charge a 1st time cleaning fee-----Or charge correct amount for the job, it gets better.

2. Need to switch between arms, cuz dang my right shoulder is sore!-----Yep!

3. Need to get proficient at using a pole, cuz like my shoulder, my legs hurt from the ladder.-----Good footwear for ladder work helps.

4. French panes suck-----Yep, charge accordingly, they are small but they are many.
    A. Don’t rely on pictures, because these French panes weren’t distinguishable based on pics.-----ALWAYS say phone quotes are just an estimate, true price will be given once eyes are on the job.

5. Rethink promotional pricing as I don’t feel like I made the pricing worth the time (most likely due to it only being my first time).-----Promotional pricing doesn’t have to be giveaway pricing, work is work, charge for it.

Best of luck next time.

1. I believe I was charging the correct amount, but I suppose it could be the newbie in me that second guessed myself…but I’m keeping track of my closing rate to determine whether my prices are too low/too high/just right…but you’re definitely correct.

2. No doubt!

3. It could be the footwear, but I’m chalking it up to using muscles I haven’t used in a while. But, I was wearing sneakers, but I will have to do some research to figure that part out.

4. You’re exactly right…I need to start making sure, both with pressure washing and window cleaning that customer understands that the final price may be different from the estimated price.

5. What I meant by that is, for the home I did the promotional pricing for, I should have made it clear that sliding doors were excluded, as the price would have been completely different. Essentially, I practically gave away the doors within the promotional price. But, the good news is that it was definitely a good learning opportunity and I did receive a good review from the customer.

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

As noted above, charge accordingly. However, there is a learning curve to your pricing and physical skills. To a situation like you mentioned, I was told once to “consider if paid practice” even if you charged low for what it turned out to be. We certainly learned the hard way.

I can’t stress proper footwear enough. When I first started and was using a ladder a lot I remember waking up in the middle of the night and barely being able to walk due to sneakers.
now I invest in a new pair of keens every spring, and it makes all the difference. I am also not on ladders as much so that helps.
Good Job, keep at it.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice and words of wisdom. I’ll keep them in mind.