Concerned about pricing

I’ve been cleaning windows in my area for four years now. Usually with no problems on pricing. Lately I’ve been losing bids due to my prices being considered too high. I’m getting concerned with losing so many jobs. I price my windows at 6.00 per window exterior and 70% of that for the interior. Basically 10.20 per single hung window unit both sides not including screens or tracks. . Of course others are higher or lower depending on the size and style. Do you think I’m too high? Just need some input cause I’m stressing out on this.

I would say this is average, based on what other’s have posted.

Being in “The Most Affordable City to Live in”, I start at $6-$8 for inside & out for SH/Casement, no screens or tracks. People here simply won’t pay any more than that for window cleaning, and other established cleaners seem to be on par.

1 Like

How many bids are you losing?

Ask what the other bid is. Is it half the price? Then don’t sweat it. They’ll be out of business soon. Is it within $25? Then you might adjust a little to be more competitive. But if you’re established for 4 years it may just be a fluke that seems like it’s bigger deal then it really is at thw moment.

4 Likes

Prices don’t seem out of the norm. Any number of reasons can be afoot why some of the customers aren’t buying. I’ve posted the reasons before on other threads…They are budgeting for: New roof, A/C, kids in college, transmission repair, loss of job or pay cut, (fill in the blank).
Sometimes, if the frequency starts to wear on you, it helps to ask what can they budget for? If it is close enough for you to be comfortable doing it and you want to, then negotiate.

2 Likes

I was cleaning a townhouse today for $100. A neighbor came by told me about her windows and wanted a quote, $100.

She looked shocked and said her guy does it for $17. But he doesn’t wash her screens (as if that’s where I make up the $83).

I don’t even do a storefront for that cheap, much less her townhouse which required a couple of ladder sets.

You need to have confidence in your pricing. If you’re comfortable with $10 per window, then stick to it no matter what. If your competitor underbids you, then pretty much the only thing I’m willing to do is “Well, you don’t open those two windows, I can skip those…” or “If you don’t want the screens washed, I can remove that…”

If you’re getting seriously underbid then you need to decide what your lowest price is and change it across the board. I personally wouldn’t go below $8 per window - I’d rather pick up more storefront/commercial.

But again, it also comes down to your area. If you’ve been doing it for 4 years, you should have a pretty good feel for what’s going on and what you should charge.

3 Likes

Have you had a surge of new customers? Are you trying to increase market share in a new market?
Maybe your marketing targeting is not in sync with the level of service you provide.

1 Like

I only do residential the affluent is my target market. I’ve been doing well with my pricing over all. I think this down turn in new business got me down a bit. I’m gonna stick with what my prices are currently. Customer wa just basing his price on the neighbors house I cleaned earlier on. The thing is he had a shit load more windows than his neighbors.

2 Likes

I think your right and just a fluke. I’ve been doing well with my prices. I just hate to lose any. I know I’m not the cheapest and don’t intend to be either.

3 Likes

When approached, this is your simple rebuttal.

3 Likes

If she is paying $17 then why the need to get another bid? Does she really think there is a better deal out there?

Obviously she is not happy with the work amd realizing you get what you pay for.

I bid a roof for moss removal it was over $1k. Guy comes back and said " Ijust had it done not that long ago (yeah right ) for $250?!"

My response was "is there a reason you’re not calling the other company back? "

Surprisingly he still wanted to work some payment plan with me. I don’t work like that so cut it loose but funny how people think.

2 Likes

That is what I was wondering! Either that or she was just validating her “good deal”. Anyone who is doing it for $17 is not legit and is doing it on the side. Guarantee she rubbed her price in your client’s face, though.

2 Likes

Probably but my client said she liked me because she’s “hired some real idiots in the past.”

2 Likes

I was doing route work yesterday and another restaurant called me for a quote. They wanted these done for $15. I told her my price and she kept trying to haggle me down. She said one guy offered to do it for $20 before I showed up for the estimate. I asked to see the quote and she said she couldn’t remember what she did with it. Bottom line, I know I could get in and out of there in 20-25 minutes but I know my worth. I think it’s gross as a business owner to haggle me down the way she did in front of a lunch crowd. I almost wanted to order lunch and then do the same to her when I received the bill.

7 Likes

So you’re saying there’s a chance?! LOL

I’d probably tell her I wouldn’t have a number for her to call at that price since I couldn’t stay in business.

3 Likes

Exactly. She was lying though she didn’t have anyone quote her earlier. I wasn’t upset about her not signing on with us.

2 Likes

Yes after a mild rant to you haha

$17.00. What a joke…maybe if There’s only 2 windows in the whole house! Lmfao. If that was true. She would not have came over for a quote… Customer say anything to get there windows done. The only thing I haven’t heard YET, is my window cleaning guy cleanse my windows for free. I said yet!!! Stick with your price. You know what it takes to do this job.
I do a 3 by 3 myself. What that is I’ll get 3 new customer at low start up price (15%) off the regular price, to get them started. That’s gets me the ability to raise prices on 3 old customer. This can work for you the opposite way. You can lower your prices for old customer. (To stay competitive) But new customer will make up the money that you lose on the old customer. You can’t do this all the time. But it will help for the guy that’s trying to undercut you. If this makes any sense to you… thanks. Hope this helps!! Mike

A formula to think about…
$100 per hour divided by 60 minutes = $1.67 minute.
20 min. to 25 min. job = $33.40 to $41.75

1 Like