Custom BOAB

I’ve been thinking about designing my own boab and was curious if anyone else has given thought to The Perfect Boab. I’m a huge fan of the Ninja, but it struck me last week that if I made one change… it might totally rock the boab world. I think I got a good enough idea I might actually spend the money to get it mocked up, and then 3d printed for a beta test, and then get injection molds made. I might even patent it since it’d truly be unique.

So while I’m thinking on what would make a perfect boab, I curious if anyone wanted to put in a request for features.

I’m thinking 22" scrubber slot might be standard or at least an option.

I’m also thinking it needs to hold at least 2 squeegees, maybe 3.

Big rivet to allow it to rotate while bending down and prevent quick rust out (my biggest beef with the pulex boabs).

If anyone knows who runs unger’s R&D department, I’d rather have them build it since it would cost a lot of duckets to get the thing into production. They could call it the Samurai. I’d probably call it the Bob Bucket. Or maybe The Boss.

I’m game. I used to be a Pulex guy, but started using a Ninja bucket a while back out of necessity (the pulex cracked). I was too lazy to order a new pulex until tonight.

Here’s what I like about the Ninja:
•belt clip detaches easily, but doesn’t hang low. And it swivels, as you mentioned
•slot for razor. I would use it if it came with a matching mini razor
•squeegees drain into boab portion, reducing the chances of dripping
•will hold longer squeegees than the Pulex

And here’s what I like about the Pulex (that the Ninja stinks at):
•doesn’t destroy rubbers in one day, and doesn’t let my squeegees flop all over, often getting caught up by the mop and falling out
•has 3 squeegee slots. That’s a must for me. I don’t use 3 squeegees every day, but it’s very handy when I do
•allows 2 squeegees to be facing in the same direction

Additional features I’d like to see:
•some sort of padding to better protect squeegee rubber
•a drain plug/cap to quickly drain excess water back into my bucket
•size options/model variety. It would be really cool to see a mini boab for my 6" scrubber so I can holster both mops for jobs with storm windows and cutups. The mini boab wouldn’t need anything but space for the scrubber… On second thought, I’m just gonna make one of these… maybe :slight_smile:

Unger sounds like a good candidate for the project (if they’ll give you a little slice of the pie ;))

I would also be interested in a left handed leather squeegee holster like the one Ettore makes (discriminately). [MENTION=327]Dangerous[/MENTION] Dave may be interested in cooking up that one

id think a BOAB made of synthetic rubber might work

And a 22" channel slot.

also a clip adapter for the boab for a regular belt. For the guys the do route work ( :wink: ) that don’t want to wear a regular workbelt setup like most do for rezzy work. Just a boab to hold the applicator and squeegee that clips to a belt.

Some times it gets a little old trying to come up with three hands…

I use the 6 inch strip washer all the time in my Unger BOAB.

A regular safety razor fits in there. The only issue is that it will rust in about 10 seconds. I like the idea of a razor slot, but I’m just not sure how practical it is. I use the slot to fit a belt clipped pouch off the front of my boab which is way more handy.

•doesn’t destroy rubbers in one day, and doesn’t let my squeegees flop all over, often getting caught up by the mop and falling out
Since I put dividers in my ninja, I haven’t had a problem with flopping or rubbers. But I know what you mean. After 2 years of use my pulex was nicking my rubbers pretty bad.

•allows 2 squeegees to be facing in the same direction
Humm, that is a good feature.

•a drain plug/cap to quickly drain excess water back into my bucket
That would be nice, but I’m not sure how much weight that would add. Plus you’d have an issue if the plug leaked. I think I have a solution for this, but it depends on how difficult it would be to manufacture.

I was going to shoot for 24. It seems to be the most popular size.

also a clip adapter for the boab for a regular belt. For the guys the do route work ( :wink: ) that do want to wear a regular workbelt setup like most do for rezzy work. Just a boab to hold the applicator and squeegee that clips to a belt.
Do you mean detachable like the pulex or like the ninja? The pulex was a cool idea, but when it got worn, it would sometimes come unclipped and that totally sucked. But I do know some people who just put the clip on their regular belt and attach/detach the boab as needed. I like the ninja, but I don’t remove just the boab, I take off my whole belt.

What are the dividers?

I saw a nice boab modification once. A guy took the leather off a regular hammer loop and screwed that steel loop onto his Unger BOAB to hold his 6 inch squeegee.

Here are my pics: Ninja Mod

It’s a tile divider thingy from Lowes. It back by the molding. I cut these at about 9" but if you’re going to use long squeegees, you can definitely cut it at 10 or 11. 6’ of the divider is only like 3 or 4 bucks.

1 Like

I had to revise my post, *don’t want to wear a regular rezzy work belt setup for route work…a clip attachment that just clips on your belt so you dont have to ever remove your belt to take off that the male part of that unit like the of the pulex and ninja boab. something like this attached to the boab (easy on and easy off)

^Replies above^

edit: I just realized I replied for [MENTION=6741]wcs[/MENTION], as well

Thanks Jared: I’ll have to swing by Lowes. The old Unger BOAB was better.

That’s an awesome idea

Jesse
Atlas Window Cleaning
North Carolina

I have been working on ideas for a long time.
Please come up with some solutions!

I got this. I really think my boab design might be a game changer. So I’m definitely going to get it mocked up in cad and then 3d printed so I can see if it sucks or not. Then if it’s righteous, I’ll either get the molds made or see if unger/ettore want to run with it.

But my sill tool totally sucked so what do I know?

Get it done! I need somthing different

the post about attaching a hammer loop onto the boab [for small squeegees] gave me the idea to use a cable tie for the same purpose

2 Likes

Of course everybody knows that an Unger Henry holster will hold two small squeegees and you can get one from any window cleaning supplies house for about $20. Or we can reinvent the wheel. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Hmm. Durable?
What do they retail for?