Custom BOAB

Oh it’s modular.

But a metal lining won’t work because it will wear too and cause more damage to rubber than a worn plastic.

There’s a company local here that can do the injection molding, I’ll ask about colors.

What colors?

Red green blue black?

All of those. At the same time.

2 Likes

Ok I got it- a durable silicone rubber boab. It wouldn’t nick your rubber going in and out, and it wouldn’t hurt your leg if you banged it while walking.

It could have a rigid polymer collar at the top to help maintain the overall shape and to interface securely with the adjustable nylon web belt loop.

OR, if you didn’t bother with the rigid upper collar, you could make your adjustable belt loop with a large button or pair of buttons that the silicone bucket portion could pop over for quick and easy attachment/removal from the belt. The loop buttons could be repositioned in a series to suit the user. Using one button would allow the bucket to swivel for those who prefer it, using two buttons would keep it stationary like the pulex BOAB.

2 Likes

It will be interesting what you come up with Jared.

1 Like

Yeah, the belt is the only thing I haven’t really settled on yet. It seems like people like the swivel… or not. So it might be hard to accommodate both.

Some mean that the risk of spill is bigger with the swivel function. I mean that it’s the opposite.
Especially when I’m climbing or squatting.

I think the metal lining would be fine. Idk. Have you checked into the injection molding ? Very expensive . I was pursing my design until they told me the price of the mold. Could buy a sports car for that price.

1 Like

I don’t think the metal lining would work. In order to prevent rubber nicks, I folded a piece of aluminum sheet and made a little clip to go over the middle divider of the ninja - it got worn pretty quick. I was surprised at how rough it looked and how quick. What might be cool would be replaceable dividers… But that adds complexity.

The issue is that I really don’t want to go to (trump voice) The Chi-na. There’s a company here who said they could do it, so we’ll see. I’m going to get it cadded up and then 3d printed for the prototype.

2 Likes

Just use the wagtail hip dipper and shush it… JK

1 Like

Yep. Injection mold for the master chamber and then a new mold for every modular snap on piece… then you have to deal with minimum quantities of EACH colour… and then you calculate break even for your inventory and set your price… then BOOM the only person who is interested in your PINK one is Reanna and she ain’t going to pay you for her demo one so then the other 999 are dead stock… and in a moment of clarity you suddenly understand why almost every company chooses ONE colour and pretty much a one piece moulding … :slight_smile: ain’t life grand…

3 Likes

Well to be fair …i don’t own a billion dollar window cleaning product manufacturing company. And I just spoke with an owner of one the other day about colors . Said that wouldn’t be a problem :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Never said it was a problem … anything can be done as long as we’re prepared to pay for it. Also depends on what is deemed ‘minimum run’. It all comes down to ROI.

On a much more positive note however. As the costs of high quality 3D printers plummet and the choice of more durable plastics and composites increase then custom BOABS and in fact custom tools in general at low cost for small numbers will become a very real possibility.

3 Likes

Yeah, and I’m a billion dollars short of a being a billionaire. :wink:

But it comes down to inventory and turn around.

I’m thinking at most you need red, blue, green, and black.

1 Like

I agree ! I like the colors !

Or maybe I make black and sell custom color “drip guards” $2.99 per pair.

1 Like