Customer complaint on gutter cleaning, highly annoyed

I can’t comment on how well your method works, since I just know what works great for us. I do agree that this lady sounds a little cuckoo. It sounds like she talked to someone later on that day that made her doubt the service she agreed to and seemed ok with. You’re not going to be able to please everyone.

As far as our method, we remove the leaves and mud by hand or with a scoop. Then, my husband rinses the gutters with a hose and checks the downspouts. I’m at the bottom of the downspout to catch the leftover debris in in a strainer and to let him know when the water is flowing freely. Sometimes some water starts coming out before the downspouts are actually clear, so I do feel that the amount of water coming from the hose really helps. We also bag the leaves and take them with us. And make sure we’ve cleaned up any mess that’s left on the ground.

For pricing, I agree with the guys who’ve suggested having a minimum. Do you charge by the linear foot or by estimating how long it will take you? Btw I think it’s great you’re reaching out to legit business owners, instead of just looking to a guy that gets paid under the table.

1 Like

I just can’t see 75¢ to $1 per foot when you figure in the purchase and use of a ladder, the purchase and use of a gutter scoop and trash bags, ants, roaches, rat feces and urine, spiders, dragging a hose around and checking flow of downspouts. Low price is a hobby, fair and equitable price is a business.

2 Likes

60$ and $110 for gutter cleaning!? WTF! That’s dirt cheap at least here in California. I don’t do a gutter cleaning job for less then $200. I have this customer that I install his xmas lights and I clean the gutters at his house for 300 and clean his other 4 houses he owns and rents out for $250 each. Your doing too much taking up leafs and blowing the gutters. All you need to do is #1 scoop all the debri out #2 use a hose and hose the entire gutter down# hose the down spouts# hose the outside of the gutters so they can look clean.

2 Likes

I don’t even take a leaf blower to the job unless they are paying me to clean up after Spring and Fall.
Scoop, bag, flush, get paid, cart debris away, $2 per foot; usually added on to window cleaning agreement.
Gutters alone I generally charge a ladder fee as well if the linear feet isn’t enough.

What tools do you use to scoop debri?

The simple truth is you can get away with the jug with some people and gutters but as professionals we have to consider that there are going to be customers who are skeptical of everything. I would never use a jug for 3 reasons

1. looks unprofessional even if it works. I’m mean if you gotta ask…and as you see there are different opinions just among us so you can expect it among your customers.

2. it doesn’t always work. Trust me. sometimes you think it’s clear because you haven’t put enough water in it long enough for it to back up. Try flushing down the leaves instead of blowing(which looks bad) and you’ll see if those leaves come out the downspouts. Then it’s clear.

3. too many trips to fill it up. Working on ladders and roofs is dangerous enough

3 Likes

Are you in Boise? if you are you better start raising your prices. Those are low ball prices

1 Like

ants yes, but the rest? what kind of gutters are you cleaning?

and if dragging a hose around and checking downspouts is a hassle, what else do you think you are being paid for?

$2 a foot is gouging

Perhaps it is the more temperate weather here, but YES, we have rats in gutters that are not cleaned on a regular basis. Not everyone has a nest, but it just takes disturbing one or two to know that they live in that stuff or at least hang out long enough to leave their calling card.
Yes, it is a hassle, THAT is why the homeowner isn’t doing it themselves. They hire someone to come by with a ladder and do the dirty work for them, and that is what they are being charged for. I challenge you that it IS NOT price gouging. Climbing a ladder, loading trash bags with the debris and carting it away, dragging a hose around to flush, and cleaning up after myself is worth $2 per foot. Not doing “Gutter Bob Pricing.” :wink:

2 Likes

I’m with an earlier response that she talked to someone afterwards who told her it was a bad way to do it. If you got the proper results, then you did it the proper way. Could you have done it differently? Perhaps. Was the downspout clear? Yes - you did good. No - go back and clear it.

1 story house, 150 feet of gutters, how long does it take you?