Customer says I shouldn't make 75 dollars an hour

Yo,

So i just quoted a new customer, quote came out to about 529 for 15 double hungs, 13 standard sliding, 3 small panes, 1 sliding door, 1 door, and 2 casements. He also wanted screens wet washed and deep cleaning of the tracks.

He proceeded to tell me that he had two other quotes and they were for 308 and 340.

Are my numbers off or is this guy just a bafoon? Cause he said at the other prices a person would be making 50 dollars an hour and I told him that a good company would be trying to make around 75 an hour. He said that the work a window cleaner does is not worth 75 an hour.

Just my rant but I also would like to view this as constructive criticism. So please let me know if my prices are off or any other info you think I should know. Thanks!

From my perspective, (Michigan numbers) $75 an hour is not enough. $100 is more in the ballpark, $125 an hour preferably.

Some folks have been an employee their whole lives, even if a high paid employee, and so struggle to wrap their mind around what a legitimate business OWNER needs to make an hour to run the business.

8 Likes

Honestly, that is my goal to be at around $100 an hour. Just working at it and making sure I’m pricing right. What would you price this job at?

They do not understand what COST and challenges (skill and speed and ladder work kills and disables professionals and lay persons every day) go into having a business. If you have to try and justify your price to someone that wants your help you do not want them as your client.

4 Likes

Not your Customer . Move on !! Don’t let these type discourage you off of what you need to make to be a profitable business. If a 100 and hour is what you neee then the only thing that will tell you if that is obtainable is 50 estimates. Not one single dude who has no clue what you need to make to stay in Business

This is a call I got the other day. I said I’ll text you and just send me your address. Then all this occurred

I didn’t reply back after her last comment. I’ve been trying it control myself with these freaking nuts, and taking the high road,

9 Likes

For $25 more the pavers. ROTFLMFAO I couldn’t get over it. You had to see how much pavers. Let alone the scope of all the other work for 475. Literally the company doing it is doing it for free at 475.

3 Likes

I like to make anywhere from $100-$150 an hour.

Yesterday made $200 an hour (1 hour with my minimum charge)

Idk if the work I do is worth what I charge but to me it’s either I make what I make or I might as well close up shop.

I could easily do something else with less stress like finish up school and get a simple job but I chose the biz route.

The guy’s a bafoon, there’s too much that goes into business to sit down and explain to him.

Just move on, next as Gary says.

I’d be at something similar

1 Like

That guy is salty cause he wants to go with you but can’t afford you lol

8 Likes

Thank you guys for all the positive comments. I definitely needed it cause he kinda upset me a bit. I’m glad to hear that we just have to stick to our guns.

Apparently he teaches how to start up businesses so thats why I even listened to him at first. IDK.

but the low road comes with so many good views! Good man. It took years but I’m a non-responder too. I quit caring about google and yelp reviews, mine are fine, but I recently reviewed a school in the area we are moving to in Idaho. It is 1.8! But that’s due to national outrage over a teacher. Upon further review :slight_smile: 90% of those reviews were people from around the nation mad about the teacher not those in the community.

1 Like

No I don’t think that’s the case . She’s trying to get someone to do it for nothing. Asking me to beat a 475.00 price on a job that is close to a 1000.00
The way she did it was down right hilarious. I would of laughed in her face if she was in front of me. :rofl: and for $25 more the pavers. who wants to be that price. Oh me me me :raising_hand_man: Then to boot the beat the price to not lose a sale to help the consumer that’s what a good company does. Huh :thinking: WTF … no dear what a good company does is come to your house and do the job properly at a price that keeps him in business , so he can be there for you agian when you call in two years from now , so you don’t have to worry about who your going to use again.

1 Like

Lots of people START businesses. Very few maintain long term successful businesses.

4 Likes

It amazes me that there are people that only care about price… and nothing else.

Like that they only look at price as being the most important facet.

And whoever can be the lowest, wins!

Originally I started with a partner but that quickly dissolved when I saw:

That’s a steal at $500… I would have been $900 for 25-30 windows and doors in/out plus screen deep cleaning and track cleaning

This thread just sent me off the deep end lol ahhhhhhhhhh what’s going on with people this year

This is the common problem with people. They want your reputation, educating them in the sales process, follow-up, and service; but they can’t wrap their head around the fact that it costs money (above what “the other guy” spends) to make that happen.

As we’re starting to focus on our holiday lights stuff, people in that realm are really bad about it. It is an ultra-premium service. Everyone wants to think that they are ultra-premium customers, it makes them feel bad when they can’t afford what you’re selling them. They want to be filet mignon clients, but they want to spend beans & rice money.

Mark them “declined” in the files, drop their email onto your newsletter list, and carry on, lol

3 Likes

I think eventually I might wanna have like a “follow up call after the service” or an email but idk cause I feel like that could create more call backs.

Anyone does this?

100% of the time.

I get you, the callbacks concern is real. But do you really want a client out there not happy and just stewing? We’re not perfect at it, but that is the goal. Well, 100% on the email, that’s all automated. They’re also all getting automated “thank you” and review link emails. The calls after sometimes get overlooked, but we strive for 100%.

1 Like

So after the service how does it work

1 email gets sent out that thanks them for their business, asks if they are happy with everything if not then to click some link, and if they’re happy to leave a review?

Something along these lines?

luxury is the wrong word, its a discretionary purchase and the ones who want it will pay for it at all income levels thru all kinds of economies

same old story - the ones who never have maintenance done (or hate paying for it to be done) are the most demanding, have the filthiest most neglected hardest work, and want it for the cheapest price, and will never have it done again if they can help it. sayonara

9 Likes