Dangerously High Winds

[video=youtube_share;BcKTQYvlLM0]Windy Window Cleaning - YouTube

We stayed off ladders this afternoon. Steady 20-30mph winds can be manageable but there were periodic 40-50mpg gusts which I feel could suddenly throw a ladder off a house or someone off a ladder.

Has anyone heard of someone falling off or damaging property from high winds? 2 years ago I left a ladder leaning against a house unattended for 10 seconds and it was blown over so I know it can get bad.

Today was a pre-planned “ladder free day” ever since Monday.

I injured my neck yesterday, so I have been laid flat on my couch since last night.

• so it all worked out, I guess.

I did venture out to take the garbage out though, and was glad nobody was doing high work.

Incidentally, we were at 50 as well…

Nasty stuff.

Yeah… Was able to do inside only on a large casement job and will come back next week to do the exteriors to try and stay somewhat on schedule… The weather is starting to act more like November now.

I’m confident of a mild winter this year…
I’m usually a skeptic, but after the last two, I’m buying into this El Nino stuff.

• if the jeststream will just co-operate!

That’s what I feel. I’ll work in snow and cold and rain but wind is a killer.

12 meters per second is where any height work should stop. which is 43km/h which is 26.7 miles/h.

I’ve never known anyone to be blown down on a ladder, but I’m sure it could happen. I have had ladders blow over in a wind gust. That’s a sign to call it a day. Even if it wouldn’t blow you down, you really don’t need distractions when working from a ladder, and gripping the ladder in a 40mph gust is definitely a distraction.

Yeah, I was feeling it up here, too- steady 10-20 with gusts up to idk what (I was working on top of a hill). Today is supposed to be even worse, 15-25 with 40+ mph gusts. Yuck.

We had to reschedule a few jobs, but got most of it done. Had to discount a couple jobs because we couldn’t get to a couple of skylights, and had to puch some work to Saturday, but it all works out.

I had a set of sections blow over when I was on a roof, luckily I had a guy on the ground working or I would have had to explain to someone at the building how to stack 3 sections to get me down haha!

We usually battle out the winds for residential, just having a holder for high climbs, but yeah anything over 30 mph and its not worth risking in my opinion.

Had to use a 30 footer for an attic window on the 3rd floor out in the country area with a lot of fields. I have never seen my pole bend in the air so much with my T-Bar on the end. I ended up giving up on that one because I couldn’t control the pole. ~40-45mph gusts - brutal