Dawn vs GG4

Hey guys, I’m wondering if anyone knows what the specific differences between Dawn and Glass Gleam 4 are? What the technical differences are, as well as what differences you’ve seen while using both of them to clean?

1 Like

Foam, slip, residue and evaporation rate.

Two totally different solutions.

Henry will give the technical data.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that GG was made to be the same as Dawn, except without the foam.

GG does foam pretty well though when using a hogs hair brush.

I like visible suds, let’s me know where I’ve left spots.

1 Like

GG4 is based on an ethoxylated alcohol. Different surfactant family than Dawn which is based on two anionics. Yes Jhans! Totally different. Personally I don’t see any comparison. If you like GG4 good for you. My preference is elsewhere. If you like sudz than the anionics are the place to go. Like DC says, I like knowing where I have been and where I need to go back to. I consider myself a zero detail guy. That is why I use a zero degree. But I am not perfect. Almost.

Henry

2 Likes

We did not like GG3 or GG4 in our tests.

1 Like

Oh boy! Another SOAP LINK! Here I go…so, I was told to use GG3 in my area, as TDS is around 75, and GG4 is for harder water. Because of that I have almost purchased GG3. But not quite. I use Dawn. But I also supplement sometimes with Ammonia, alcohol, glycerin. Have also toyed with adding Acetone, and denatured alcohol. All found in various retail glass juices. Now that I have heard the negative input on GG products, I will probably just stick with various elemental cocktails at my discretion. Amazing glass is the goal and I do enjoy tinkering and seeing blazing clean glass for pennies per batch. Course, there’s always just good ol’ Dawn and water. That works too. And, thanks to Fluff Daddy on a video, I love my pump sprayer for the cocktail. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Right on spot Love.

Henry

On a side note, what do you all recommend as an additive to help the squeegee slide better on rougher residential glass?

I use a mix of mostly dawn with a little gg4. I find it helps the glass stay a little cleaner longer and it dries slower.

Glycerin. Cheap. 3 drops per qt. Shhh…it’s a secret.

2 Likes

There’s literally 1000 threads about this subject lol

2 Likes

Will vegetable glycerin work? Have some for vaping.

Yes…with reservation: try it. It adds slip.

How about treating the squeegee rubber? What say Casper? You all know Casper? He owns Black Diamond rubber.

Henry

Where do you buy glycerine?

Here ya go;…

You will find many other pure chems in here too. As I said guys and girls. This is just the beginning!

Henry

1 Like

OK. Regarding the rubber. Ever tried a product like this for softening the edge of your rubber and keeping it from drying out? Of course the rubber manufacturers don’t want us knowing about this technology. And exactly what does happen to our precious cutting edge that we do all our work with. Ever look at the “cutting edge” under a microscope? Another GS blog post. In the meantime check this out!

Henry

3 Likes

I bought my Glycerin at Wally World. It cost about 3 bucks. It lasts forever.

1 Like