DBA questions

So I contacted my local Register of Deeds for my county to figure out info on filing for DBA. They said they did not carry the forms and that I would need to go to a website blah blah blah, print it out and then get it signed in front of a notary public. They would then record it at the Register of Deeds for $26. I did a little googling and found out on some info. Where did you guys go to get your files notarized (if you had to get them notarized). I saw that UPS stores notarized but I could not find a price. Any average price ideas for this? And is it normal to charge $26 in “recording fees” in order to file for a DBA. (I am sure it’s normal but it baffles me that the goverment charges that much just so you can start a business under a name other than your own. At least it is the state government stealing my money instead of the federal government haha)

Oh I may have found something on the notary price. It said in NC notaries can charge up to $5 for a signature. I am implying that $5 is the maximum someone can charge, even for a UPS store. Does this sound correct?

You can get it notarized at most any bank. I went to my bank down the road and they did it for free since I did my banking there.
Lawyers offices do it. You can pretty much go anywhere they send out official documents all the time, and they have at least one staff who is a notary

2 Likes

Yep just texted my mom who works for the bank. She let me know they would do it for free. She also let me know that she does not want me sinking money into this business because she thinks it is “dumb” (not her words but close enough) Thankfully I have listened to the business “gurus” on youtube who say your family/parents can be your biggest enemies when starting a business because they want you to take the safe route and not take the leap into starting a business. Do not know why I included all that, sort of venting I guess haha. But thanks for the input.

2 Likes

Yeah I am select in the people I tell things to. If they ask I’ll tell them but some people don’t know how not to be negative.
Keep going at it. :+1:

1 Like

If you’ve got a decent relationship with your bank, you could probably twist their arm to do the notary for free. Also Bank of America said they will file all of my llc stuff properly for the cost off the state’s fees. Idk how they make money doing it but when the time comes. …

Lots of people on here have received similar discouragement when starting out. They have survived and become successful.

My wife and family were encouraging and supportive to me because I had worked out of town for more than a decade. Getting better quality of life and more family time vs. making more $ has been a good tradeoff.

1 Like

Banks usually offer this in hopes that you open your business account with them.
Then the sky is the limit for them haha
Business loans, savings accounts, business credit cards, business lines of credit, business car loans, business short loans, etc etc etc
I love US Bank haha

Yeah it’s discouragement portrayed as “advice” by them. I understand why they people tell us these things but I wish more people could break through their first impressions on the idea and become supportive of your choice. Whatever it’s not gonna keep me down. I am my own motivation and support! :smile:

1 Like

If that is true, then you WILL be successful in business. It has been my observation that those that need others to motivate them, eventually fail.