Defective Glass an Opportunity?

This post will pass away I am sure. But has anyone here ever considered turning this issue around and going after defective glass? Yes actually looking for it. Even including the issue on your website. Becoming an expert in being able to identify the problem and then find answers to dealing with this type of surface. In other words, run the enemy down, kill the beast, and feast! This is my opinion, and what I would like to do.

Henry

Glass repair companies are out there - I recently totally geeked out as a guy fixed window scratches at a construction site.

He (Mark) was using an angle grinder, some specialty abrasive pads, and eventually polished with Cerium Oxide. He seemed to make good speed of it.

Yes the technology is out there. It requires the right tools and technique. But when you know how to do it you can make very good money in a day!

Henry

There seems to be a lot of what I call Frankenglass or Zombiglass around where I live. It’s harsh. Let me explain. Multiple windows in a residential job I did recently had glass that was just as dirty inside the glass as it was on the outside. As in, on top of scratches existing within the center panes of the windows, there were wiping marks, dirt, and general chaos happening within the inert gas-filled chamber. Did someone actually mess up on a repair and sandwich these flaws to the inside of the window? or, did someone haphazardly pull good panes from a window graveyard and stitch dead glass into a stack of resurrected discount windows?

I do a fair amount of CCU’s and you wouldn’t believe the amount of stuff between the panes from the factory that they install. Finger prints, smudges, silicone

i’ve seen a full hand print between the panes

1 Like

When we moved we had new windows installed in our new house. Nearly every one had tons of smudges on the inside and some had complete handprints. Our contractor did nothing to fix it and we just lived with it for fifteen years. Very annoying.

Fascinating. I have seen stuff too. Of course I started this thread with the intention of talking about “surface defects” otherwise known as Fabrication Debris. Although I now believe it is a surface problem experienced by all float glass. Not just tempered glass. Want to help me with this one guys? Have you ever run into annealed glass with bad surfaces that scratched?

Nonetheless, your comments are quite noted. I have run into similar things. These are the things that people who are buying houses need to know about. I have talked to Real Estate Brokers about such an inspection service for glass. They told me that I need to go to the Agents because these people have the say in what information is brought to their customers. But they thought it was a great idea. Real Estate Agents also deal with General Contractors that build houses in your area. Start a newsletter/info letter and go to the Agents. You could easily have one or two hundred in a 25 mile radius of where you operate! These people could be your sales force/team.

Henry

I think the challenge is getting customers to bite when they don’t see an existing problem but yet I exists. The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” would apply. The bulk of the business would be with glass that has already visible defects I. E. Scratches and stains.

That said I would love to perfect the process and get into it on a broader scale. I tried in the past but couldn’t find a good polishing solution that did jot risk leaving swirl marks. I eventually gave up on it as it was taking me away from what was making me money at the time which was cleaning.

If I had a full proof polishing compound and polishing process that did not risk leaving swirl marks I would absolutely branch into it. If you have such a product and or process Henry I would love to talk with you about it. I can’t tell you how many products and systems I have experimented with. Most companies don’t even know what their product can do (or better put, can’t do).

Yes I know. The guys that do know what they are doing with scratches and stains have developed their own systems. They have their own products too. Some have spent thousands. Some have experienced severe loss because of commercial systems. Don’t misunderstand however. I do believe there are good systems out there. I just believe more in the technology rather than the products that are being sold. Email me specifically with questions and I will lead you to the right people. My specialty is the EZ stuff. Not the bears. Not scratches. But believe me. You can see I am being honest. There ARE people out there that are light years ahead of me! And I wholeheartedly salute them.

Henry

[email protected]

One more thought on the defective glass issue. If we offered a preliminary no cost inspection we could quickly run through a house and find something that they would be interested in. Using this discovery (maybe several) we could sell the window cleaning and the inspection.

Henry

I think for residential what your up against is the cost of replacement. If there are no visible scratches I couldn’t see a home owner paying for restoration vs replacement of the IG units. Just my thinking. I could be wrong. Now if there were visible defects that could be corrected for less than replacement cost then I could see getting them to bite.

I can see definately water spot removal though.

MR. Hard Water is your answer.
Pull The Trigger

Unless he has fixed his issue with his polishing compound I wouldn’t use the product.

what issue?

I am not going to say. I had a conversation with the owner and he was open about some of the challenges he was having with the product. He was working to resolve it but hadn’t found a solution. I will hold off on sharing the details out of respect. He may have found a solution as that was a couple of years ago.

I have no issues with swirl marks when using the Liquid Polisher

That’s good. I’m going by what the owner told me were the issues with his product. I was interested in the product but wanted to probe further to find out if there were any issues with the product. After speaking to the owner he gave me the information I was wanting which lead me away from the product. Again he may have fixed the problems he shared with me as that was a few years ago.

Give it a try now. Its the only hard water removal that is safe for glass

I was actually talking to ATF about it via PM. I may take another look at it. I looked at his website and it looks like he may have solved some of the issue he had.

The only other system I trust is Dan fields system but his is pretty expensive. It’s well worth the price but too expensive for me right now. Maybe after a bit.