DIY RO/DI or buy a bundled kit?

Hey all,

Im just starting out on my own and wouldn’t mind getting some feedback on my DIY RO/DI system its in rough shape but this is what i was thinking of doing, struggling between buying a prefab system or DIY.

water source feeds into.

1x 2.5x10" sediment filter
1 x 1" In/Out | No Pressure Relief | #10 Big Blue Filter Housing

1 x AMI Extruded Carbon Filter, 10" Big Blue
1 x 1" In/Out | No Pressure Relief | #10 Big Blue Filter Housing

RO Filter
1 x 4"Dia.×40"L PVC Membrane Housing
1 x 4" x 40" CTA RO Membrane, 1000 GPD

bypass option to WFP

DI Filter
1 x Empty Refillable Filter Cartridge for 20" Big Blue Housing
1 x 1" In/Out | No Pressure Relief | #20 Big Blue Filter Housing
some kind of DI RESIN

1 x Aquatec Delivery Pump, 1 GPM

need good sources for things i may be missing. also should add my avg TDS is 155ppm

THANKS!

@John or @Jersey

Well with a brand you get a warranty and years of experience backing it and
24/7 customer support from me. With a DIY you are on your own.

links for your products?

If you’re tight on money and have lots of free time build your own, it’s not very hard. If you have the money and want to save some time and have peace of mind when things might go wrong go with the xero pure.

The set up i have up there is priced around $700 , add in hosing, fittings , the cart and time and effort im probally going to be around $1200. BUT this system has capable of doing 1,000 gpd.

If i was to purchase a 1,000 gpd system im looking at $3,000 plus? which makes me want to DIY

i love a good waranty but the stress of starting out 5k in debt kinda scares me a little. esp since its already mid august.

i built my own and i’m happy with it, it’s simple enough that it doesn’t have many points of failure and those it does are easy to fix. it cost me ~$1000

1 Like

If you are on a budget and want an RO/DI - I can’t recommend this enough - https://waterfed.equipment/product/ez-pure-ro-di/

Super simple, four stages of filtration - Shipped to your door FREE - $919.00 Total.

Totally plug and play. Take it our of the box plug your pole in one end the garden hose on the other end.

Biz Bang Boom - Your in business

3 Likes

this probably what i would have gotten if i didn’t already have the unger di unit

1 Like

do you still have your DIY system? please share photos if you have.

3 Likes

I’ll need resin as my tds is 425-500+ but the simplicity is great. Thanks for sharing. Your hands are made of steel!

1 Like

I also made my own from @Pure_Water_Window_Cl videos, mine has 2 prefilters 1 sediment, 1 carbon, RO and my 10L DI tank, for now.
Plan is to remove the 10L DI tank and get a 4L DI so I can mount it all on a trolley.

1 Like

So far all I’ve ever used is just a DI tank strapped to the support pole of my ladder rack. Here the TDS is usually about 150 or lower so it is been pretty reasonable to use. And it’s just super simple and I can get two poles going on one tank. So the cost comparison seems for me a good choice. Plus you have good water pressure.

Another thing I have to consider is having options that are scalable. If I want to have the same system on every truck it gets expensive spending two or three grand for each truck to have Waterfed set ups. It’s much cheaper to give each truck a big resin tank and just replace resin every three months.

With the low prices now for a RO housing and membrane was around $500, $30 for each prefilter & housing, compared with quarterly resin costs. From my calculations it will pay for it self within 12 months.

Same here … My TDS at my house is 39. Two poles on one tank. :thinking:. Never thought of doin that . great idea ! Do you just through a splitter on the tank ?

Interesting goin to try that one day.

Yep I actually run pole hose straight from the tank and then have a y adapter and have to hoses go from there. If the pressure is good I can run 2 18” tucker brushes with rinse bars. If pressure is low then maybe only pencil jets or 1 pole. But usually it works just fine. 300’ of pole hose to each pole typically is what I can get away with.

1 Like
2 Likes

:pray::v::ok_hand:

1 Like