Do You Overcome Objections?

What is your general policy when a potential customer turns you down to your face? Do you immediately take your leave or do you push back (politely) just a little bit to see if you can turn that “no” into a “yes”?

Please explain your tactics and reasoning for as many scenarios as you care to expound upon.

To get the thread started: For residential bids I don’t think any pressure is ever warranted. If by the end of my time in their home while bidding, they are not eating out of my hand, then I haven’t done my job establishing rapport and building value in my services and being pushy isn’t going to help me.

If I’m soliciting to a business then I feel comfortable working just a little bit to get past an initial rejection. It’s a fine line to walk without being douchey, but most times the rejection line is just a knee-jerk response and can be overcome with a few seconds of communication.
For example: When a shop owner says “We do our own windows.” (usually those windows look terrible) So I’ll say “Really? I’m not trying to be mean but from outside they really look like they could use some attention. I’d only charge $X a month and those windows will stay pristine without you having to worry about it. You want to see what I can do?”

3 Likes

People that want their windows cleaned will pay to have it done.
People who like the idea of having their windows cleaned but have no idea what it will cost will be a hit or miss no matter how hard you sell.
People who can be swayed who are on the fence are usually a one shot deal.
People who hire cheap get cheap - that is why low ballers exist.

6 Likes

Great topic Samuel.

This is a great topic for @JfromtheD to be part of he has the " Top salesman" mentality… :wink:

1 Like

Being pushy is not a good rep to have in my small town. I just thank them for their time and let them know that I am available for a variety of services.

3 Likes

Yeah, my thing is, take any/every objection home with you…
Take it, practice a response, and make it an easy ‘given.’

Make it as easy/immediate as “how ya doing” = “I’m doing good, and yourself.”

There gets to a point where you/we get sales gimicky.
The more you come across it, the more you work on it…

You cant win everybody, but the situation becomes easier,
when you have a quick, rehearsed, immediate response.

“Um’s” and “Der’s” (hesitations) do nothing but waste time, and are unconvincing…

• no matter WHAT you follow it up with.
5 Likes

We all have a solid response to "Hey an you come to my house next?"
Or “You missed a spot.”

Make “Oh, I do my own windows” just as immediate.

Get to a point where, it just “comes out” naturally.

4 Likes

I was going to link a good thread to here but it would not link.

this is one of the response to the same question Samuel it focused more toward store front and it’s about soft selling.

What are some of your responses to these answers? Can you give some examples?

“I’ll think about it”

• No worries, take your time. Would it be ok to check back with you next week?

“I’ll tell the owner”

• I appreciate that very much. Would it be ok to check back with you next week?

“We already have a service”

• Are you happy with the current service you have? If they say yes - I say wonderful, good window cleaning company’s are hard to find. Is it alright if I leave my card in case something changes

.“Not right now”

• Would it be alright to check back with you in a couple months?

This is a response given by the famous @Justin_Monk!

But Like @JfromtheD said write down the response that you come up against and find a solution to them, and practice your “reaction” until it is part of your thought pattern.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

“Ha. Ha. Opps, sorry I threw my squeegee at you ninja style like that.”

5 Likes

@luke3636 probably has some great ways to overcome objection also. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe be a personal visit would move things along.

Thats weird…