Do you think $100/hour average is possible in storefronts?

Do you think it’s possible to get $100/hr plus for cleaning storefronts? Do you think it’s possible to get that on average, not just a job here or there that invite a bid from you?

Let’s say you build a route in a moderately urban or suburban area. Do you think you could build a route that averages $100/hr, let’s say your counting from your first job to your last including breaks and lunch. So let’s say, you work from 8AM to 4AM take lunch, and a couple breaks and still make for that 8hour span $800.

Paneless has been saying that he’s gotten a few jobs that have paid him $50 for just 3 panes of glass. So If there are some people that are willing to pay premium prices, perhaps a market could be developed.

To get $100/hour ones would have to charge at least $2 per pane for the outside for normal sized glass, and maybe a $20/minimum.

What supports, or value would have to be presented to the customer for them to pay premimum prices? eg Money back guarantees, cleaning frames, etc…

Is $100/hour possible? What supports would be needed to garner the higher prices?

I make $100/hr on a few jobs, even a few that are $120/hr and I have one that gets me $300/hr. These are still not teh $50 minimum though, I jsut can complete it very quickly for the amount charged. But on average I make between $60-$70/hr. when doing storefront. I think $100 would be possible, but you’d have to charge premium prices or be really really really fast! In the right market and area i think it is very possible.
I’ll be honest, in my town id be afraid to ask $50 minimum for only a few panes of glass. But I am resolving for emergency stuff, that will be my minimum. Maybe i have to grow bigger nards and give the minimum $50 charge no matter what a try!

It’s very encouraging to see you can make that kind of money in a small town, with a much lower cost of living than Toronto.

I make about $55-60/hour usually if one counts from my first job to last.

However, I think to average that much, it has to be a fairly dense route, and, I think a $[B]20[/B] minimum would be needed not $50. You would have to charge $3 per inside window as well, if cleaning insides. I think $50 might be good for a job one is invited to do as a starting price open to negotiation.

I would hope to make $100/hour without working too fast either, at a productive but not hurried pace.

Mike I think it is possible, but the situation needs to be just right. We have exactly 80 different routes. Some do a thousand in 8hrs, most dont. My goal is for them all to be making that much and I think it will eventually be there but its gonna take some time.

I think you need the combination of great accounts and a very very tight route. I mean real tight big main streets, stuff all in walking distance. If you pack a real dense route it can be done.

$100 per hour is very possible here in the Northeast, but it would be very difficult to average it over an 8 hr day, with our rte work we average between $80 and $120 an hour per person with 2 of us working but we only do rte work from 6:30 to 9:30 am
After 10 when the stores are open and parking gets very difficult we would be lucky to average that between us, so we move on to residential then

Sure, Mikep, anything’s possible, right?

It’ll take time, extremely intelligent and targeted marketing materials, and a never-say-die business commitment.

My commercial can average me this on the good days, but I didn’t build it to this point overnight, and I think it would be setting yourself up for disappointment to believe you could.

Don’t give up, though, you can do it. It’ll just take time.

Macroomboy wrote: “we average between $80 and $120 an hour per person with 2 of us working but we only do rte work from 6:30 to 9:30 am”

He did say per person - so I take it that he meant his crew of 2 produces $160-$240/hour. Correct?? That’s pretty awesome if a crew of 2 can produce over $700 by 9:30am. Heck, we typically don’t even start our work day till 8:30.

I don’t really do (or like) route work – mainly because I don’t think it’s as profitable as residential or larger commercial work, at least in our area (maybe macroomboy or others can convince me otherwise - cause if I could average $100/man hr of guaranteed route work throughout the year, I’d be all over that). We do have some small commercial work that produces around $100/man hour, but, like others have said, it’s not for 8 hours everyday.

Even if you don’t do/like route work, I’d still recommend that most businesses should have a few smaller stores/professional offices (for me that means jobs under $100). Here’s a few reasons why I do:

1. They provide a bit of guaranteed work (rain or shine) throughout the year.
  2. They’re nice cause typically I can use them to fill in small gaps/last minute cancellations in my schedule).
  3. It’s proved to be a good way for us to get additional exposure and work – by being in a public place repeatedly month after month.
  4. It’s nice to have a quick and easy job every once in a while (in/out in less than 1/2 hour).

I should mention that even when my average goes up to and past the $120/hr, its not for a continuous 8 hrs, unfortunately.

A little bit of logic goes a long way…

Even though my main focus is Resi I was doing a Fast Food Restuarant and picked up 3 leads for a Resi. 1 out of 3 panned out.

Even if you don’t like driving across town for a $20 gig. The marketing value outweighs the cost of Gas.

That is not marketing, that is working grabbing some incidental leads. If you can not put value to it other than “it could happen”… not marketing.

I worked route for 6 years before breaking off on my own and I can count on one hand how many times I was approached. 6 YEARS! Before we start eluding to some bs about “maybe you did not look approachable, or you looked like a hack, or maybe you smelled” Believe me, not the case.

Some people do get walk ups, but that is freak chance and nothing more (unless you are doing something to get them to ask, cleaning windows is not marketing)

screw the $20 gig unless it has value that is real.

LOL… oh wait…:D:D:D

I live in Oklahoma where people are real laid back…

If you go to Home Depot and someone spends 15 minutes helping you… but doesn’t work there… you might be in Oklahoma.

I guess it comes with the territory. Also I make it a point to be pleasant at all times. Not only do I work in a white Oxford button up with kahki pants, (which if it gets dirty I am not doing something right), but I smile and say hello to everyone. They read the logo that is embroidered over my shirt pocket and either say hello or ask if I do homes.

Marketing for me is to be at the supermarket and letting someone cut in line when they have less items than I do. Marketing for me is not flipping off that guy in traffic who cuts me off. Marketing is more than what I publish.

Marketing is not leaving my truck in front of a Strip Club for 4 hrs.:stuck_out_tongue:

Marketing is an ACTI0N word.

I like the internet because I can be krass and make jokes with a reasonable amount of anonymity.

Please, if I may interject. Let’s not suffer from forum drift. Marketing and spin-offs of commercial could be discussed under another thread, perhaps Route spinoffs, or what exactly is marketing?

Please, I know I’m not the moderator, but I’m extremely interested if you could disucss the possibilty of making $100/hour, and what supports would be needed to make it happen.

So…Can $100/hr be made? If so, how do you market, support the customer and build enough value for the customer to bite.

Thanks.

Forum drift eh?
I for one think Louie makes a relevant case. I also do as he does but have never put it into words quite as commendably as he’s done.
€200 per hour anyone?

forum drift eh

Are you an expat Canadian? lol

200 per hour

200 euros? are you able to get that in Spain? Or are you joking? 200 euros would be $290 American or Canadian Dollars.

What’s your average euros per hour (for storefront cleanings) in Spain?

No, not Canadian - but spent some time there & understand the joke.

I’ve done that amount, but it was a difficult high job for an hours work. My normal amount is around €30 p.h., my competition is €5 p.h.

Mike - you’re not going to get the magic pill on this one.

There is only one way to get away with charging those prices every day - be the Aston Martin/Bentley/Lamborghini of your window cleaning market (I really don’t know why I’m empowering you, since you will be a competitor of mine).

How do these companies support their prices?

One word: [B][I][SIZE=“4”]Everything [/SIZE][/I][/B]they do/say/make.

Everything.

From the product to the showroom to the brochures, websites, stationary, tools, fine stitching on the seats, cool-looking gauges on the dashboard, proven roadtests and high reviews, status-based marketing, and on and on and on.

You’ve got to build all of this. You can do it, but stop trying to look for the quick fix and start getting serious about rolling this stuff out ASAP, and getting in the faces of your target clientele with it all.

You know the answers, so do it.

Kevin, I’m not looking for a magic pill. I know even charging $60/hour takes time, patience, persistence, awareness (of new store openings), professionalism and quality. There is no magic pill. I’m willing to work hard to justify the price. I just wanted to get feedback, and new ideas of those who have acheived those results.

Kevin, thanks for sharing your ideas and proven strategies with me. It just shows that your a good guy who’s always willing to help.

I’m willing to implement and start justifying those prices. When I started out with my franchisor he was charging $30-$35/hour for storefront customers, over the years and getting new jobs, I was able to take my route and raise the average to $55-$60, so I’ve done it before. But now I’m going to take things to the next level.

Even if I can’t reach $100/hour, I don’t think I’d be happy with anything less than $80/hour.

Cool. I’m looking forward to seeing you tackle it.

I know you’re serious, Mike. Keep it up.

Mike keep me up to date on how things go for you upgrading your prices. I know you’ll be able to manage it without a problem, your a determined guy, with lots of skill.

There are a few of us with passions and drive that seem to focus on nothing but marketing.

If I wasn’t so rude, crude, and socially unacceptable… on the net… I would consider myself one of them.

My bad Mike…