Do you think I'm charging too much?

So today I went to do an estimate, and the lady responded by saying that the price was WAY TOO HIGH! Now, honestly, that doesn’t really phase me because everyone has their own opinion. But I just wanted to get some feedback from the pros out there. I’m relatively new, so any feed would be much appreciated.

I estimated at $6 per pane. This was for the inside and the outside. Same price for each size. Some were really big, others were relatively small, and it was all one story. She had 46 panes, and so I quoted her at $275. What do you guys think about that?

With all my services I provide tracks, sills, and I brush the screens off real good and then apply screen magic. I also use steel wool on almost every home, often times on almost every home. I live in Las Vegas so a lot of homes have hard water spots. At the end of the day, I typically make about $50/hr. I don’t know if I’m slow. Or if I just do more than the next guy. Or if I’m charging about what other people are charging. I guess I just want to hear yall’s thoughts.

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Thoughts

a) thank you for providing all relevant information

b) at $6/pane our trained guys hit $80+/hr, more when using a WFP.

c) That’s way too high - she said, well 2 doors down she will say Oh my, that’s less than I pay now.

8 Likes

Is that 46 panes in/out (92 surfaces)?

Yeah, in/out 92 surfaces.

Yeah, I’m in the process of getting a WFP so I can work a lot faster. But to me, with traditional, $50/hr is the target. Right?

1 Like

I think your price is fair. It’s almost exactly what I charge. If you don’t diddle around you can average much better than $50 an hour at that rate. If you’re new though don’t rush it. Just focus on doing a good job and the speed will come with experience.

I would ditch the screen magic too. Screens look nice, but the glass doesn’t like that stuff and believe me neither will you. It’s basically like armor-all and it can make subsequent cleanings a pain.

5 Likes

As far as I know $50 per man hour is a starting point.
Last year I thought that was satisfactory but as I got more experience with vehicle expenses, insurance, workers comp, bonding, background checks, advertising and lots of other expenses I realized that I need to set $60 pmh as a more realistic target.

2 Likes

You are charging what you think is fair for your service.

She doesn’t for hit ideal client. So don’t even worry about her and find that ideal client that understands the value you provide. And/or present the service in a way that show the differences between you and the others.

It shouldn’t matter what the hourly rate is. It is a good metric to see where you are at but it’s not the end all be all. It just shows on what you need to improve.

2 Likes

I always wonder though if I’m actually doing more than those people charging way less. I did a home where the previous people had charged $275 or something for the entire home. It was three story, with like 100 window panes, and 8000 sq ft. Now that’s ridiculous. But I wonder if I can actually say I’m doing more than those guys.

In your experience, have you found that people who charge less cut corners. If so, what corners could they be cutting?? Have you found those people to actually provide a sub-par job or do they provide just as good a job but just WAY less??

Okay, well, at $275 that is $2.86 per pane per side. Way too low in my opinion. You will run into folks like this.

I did quote today for 5 windows that have 60 French panes, 2 French Doors (15 panes each), 7 large windows, 3 glass doors, and front entry door. Inside and out is $345. I do it on Friday. You’ll land the next one.

1 Like

Oh yes all the time, do you wear booties or inside slippers you should. Or place drop towels or drop cloths down nothing goes farther than protecting some else’s home. Are screens included, maybe they should be, maybe at an even higher price. Do you wipe the sills not every window cleaner does that. Follow up, answering the phone, reurning calls.

Most people on here are what I consider the tip of the sword. Do some research and secret shopping you will be shocked. I brought out a competitor, be have a similar price structure. But my guys do way more than what she was doing. I kept thinking “and people pay for this, and Love It!”

2 Likes

In my area 6.00 per plate is on the high side of normal…wouldn’t say your way too high especially with what your providing .

My thoughts, takem it leave em:

$6 per is good for window cleaning. Not hardwater removal. Upcharge that because it takes more time. I only give a quick scrub for standard cleaning.

Tracks, are you just vacuuming them out or detailing them? A quick wipe is all I give for standard service. For Southwest sandy tracks you can probably include vacuuming because it doesn’t cost you time. Upcharge a detailing or moss removal.

I include screen washing for my price. But screen magic and speedy screen cost $$$. Upcharge “conditioning the screens.”

2 Likes

I est $100 for every 1,000 square feet of a home . This gives a basic price and then you add ons

The cost is close to where you want especially if you think it will go faster next time, really depends on your location. Many claim in the range of $60 to $80 and hour for residential.

Push the limit, if you are awarded majority of your bids may be time to raise price.

1 Like

More…

… Doing more or less than the other guy isn’t really the point…
What is the point? Professional Service.
As for pricing, just do what you do and charge accordingly…What’s accordingly?
It’s what the market will bear…Your market, the people you want as
customers…So you have to experiment with pricing, either in your marketing
or just when giving a quote… I do that a lot. I get called to come give a bid
and I quote 20% higher than usual…I get the bid…Hmm cool, maybe I’m priced too low.

1 Like

Don’t let one client put you down . Look at your closing ration at that price . If all the clients are telling you the same , then yeah price is probably to high .

2 Likes

Price is " relative ", one customer may say it’s too high, others will say it’s perfect, a few will say it’s not as much as they thought.

Don’t use one customers reaction be the deciding factor on your pricing.

It’s relative, for eg., how strong is the coffee, how loud was the concert, how spicy the hot sauce…it all depends on who you ask.

Stick to your guns.

3 Likes

…But don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

3 Likes