Does anyone ever just price match?

I’m interested in expanding our commercial work but also don’t want to deal with wasting time with quoting and then not getting the job because we went 100$ over budget. If they have a quote already or have had window cleaning before - why not just match their old invoice/other estimate? Would it be weird to suggest that?

Why would you price match? You have no idea who the previous company was or how long ago they bid the job. So how old is the price? Not to mention if any of us haven’t raised our prices at least 20% this past spring we will be hurting next year. Don’t price match, bid all jobs so you are profitable so the ones you land you make the money you need to. JMO

4 Likes

Nope. They’re probably just saying that to drop the price $100.

3 Likes

if they are, I would request obviously proof (an old invoice). I’m not very experienced with bidding commercial so I figured it would be a nice way to get an idea of what to charge. idk was just a thought

definitely see where you’re coming from and to be honest I wouldn’t guarantee matching it. I guess that was a poor choice of words. I just mean if they had cleaning done before then I would take into consideration their previous invoice. If its really low balled then I’d tell them that. I’m just not sure how to quote large commercial and figured it would be a good way to get an idea.

p.s nice truck lol

1 Like

I would never offer to price match.

My personal rule is to never take work from another cleaner unless they just aren’t showing up anymore.

I would never beat someone’s price either.

In general, I feel if someone is mainly concerned about price, once they find someone cheaper than you, they’ll drop you.

3 Likes

The best way to do that is to figure out your costs, and how long the job will take, apply your markup %, and use that number…just sayin’.

It’s like being the side-chick…when they leave thier current husband for you, you can be sure there will soon be a new side-chick…

Reach out privately to someone and ask them in the future to help you bid a larger job. You could always ask what their budget is so you can work with them. That may also help, though many keep that to themselves some will be open. Just a couple ideas :+1:

1 Like

I had an estimate yesterday where I quoted $450 and change but the lady asked if I could “price match” or do better than the other quote she got for $390.

I just said no I can’t.

She said she had window genie clean with the wfp before and they caused one double hung to have condensation on the lower sash so she didn’t want the wfp used. The windows don’t tilt in.

no skin off my back lol

I only bid one job last season that had a previous bid that I was aware of. I did not want to know who made the bid or what they had bid, as I didn’t want my bid to be biased.

It turned out that my bid was significantly lower, but that was mainly due to me doing my math incorrectly while chatting with the owner. :smile: They gave me a good tip anyways so it all worked out for the best.

1 Like

smh, just as I say I wouldn’t price match I end up dropping my minimum by 50 bucks.

french pain’s :roll_eyes:

Just cause I have a wfp I thought it would go by faster.

Should’ve let the builder use his other “guy.”

1 Like

In order to “price match” a few things would have to happen: I see the other bid on company stationary, I am clear that my service that I offer exactly matches the other window cleaner, and I’m having trouble filling my schedule.

was the case for me lol. I wanted some cash, the wallet been looking light $$

& then today I landed a job for over a grand woo

1 Like