Door Glass Hazing

This is what I am trying to restore… I am at this time using a cerium axide cream and 3" felt pad with a Dewalt right angle drill… I do know there are still scratches left behind from all the dirt in the sweep/welt. At a lost at this time for the part name…

One of the customers has a few good size chips out of the side glass also and wants it removed or he will replace it… I have pics on that also…

I am a Windshield repair service of 20 yrs, I also started doing Headlight restoration over 8 yrs ago, now I want and will do glass restoration…

This is a big thing that needs to be done out here do to all the high wind storms.

My way of going GREEN.

Now that you all do know what I am doing, what do you all think… As to the other thread I had posted as to "wet verses Dry"
Maybe I might see more coments… The system I have is the down version of the “Scratch hog” it is the “Glass Rescue” works the same just a down version…

Thank you for your time…

Hello Pegleg.
I have been doing Windshield and auto glass repairs for a little more than 20 years, and have been doing plate glass scratch resoration for 12 years, so I think I may be able to help. The picture looks like you did a pretty good job, although there appears to be some deeper scratches near the top that would not come out with just polish and a pad. to get those you probably need to sand them and then polish. The Glass Renu system could help with that. I could tell you what I would do with that, but not on this forum. Send me your email address, or call me at 650-533-0000, and I will tell you.
The thing is, wet systems are not completely wet, and dry systems are not completely dry. Dust and polish tend to fly no matter what you do. For the side glass on an auto you would need to open the window a couple of inches to get the top inch of glass. this sends dust into the car if you don’t block it somehow. If you remove the glass from the auto and do the work on a table it is much easier. A wet system like SRP needs to maintain a seal on the glass which can be very difficult and messy on glass with a curve. Also, be careful of distortion.
There is a windshield repairman in Florida that also uses Glass Renu on high dollar cars, for wiper scratches. He told me he gets $300 to polish light wiper scratches. I am working on an old Ferarri, front and back glass scratches $600. There is a learning curve, but if you have been in the business this long you should be able to pick it up quickly.
As far as the plate glass resoration. The Glass Renu is good, but there is still more to learn beyond what they offer. Good Luck.

I wanted to share these pictures that a GlassRenu User and WCR Member John Keiser sent in to me showing before and afters of a Subaru with scratches on the drivers side window. This seems to me like what you come across a lot in your working area.

The damage was from dirt in the window striping and would lightly scratch every time the window would roll up and down. The car owner decided to take a steel wool pad to the window to see if that would remove the damage. It damaged the window worse than it already was.

John, if your out there, do you mind telling us anything about this job you did?

Hey mike, if I remember correctly, one of the first jobs you did after picking up the GlassRenu System was working on a car just outside of San Francisco. You do not happen to have any before and after shots of that work do you?

Mike,
I knew that the scratches would not come out on this job, but I can say they were VERRY pleased with what I did for them… This is a DEA undercover vehicle and they run with Limo tint on the all the doors and the deep hazing made it hard to see who they were watching so they would end up rolling down the windows… OPP’s,:eek: they get busted watching the bad guys…
This was my sales pitch to get the account… SOLD… Now I am doing most all the PD and city cars… Good test subjects to work on as I learn more…

I do want to get to do deeper scratches and will be touching base with you in private…

I always wondered about removing the glass, seems to me if the glass is coming out…a new piece is going in…at least with some…

Pegleg or Biffster I was approached today about removing scratches from a windshield while on a scratch removal job. I have never done one though would either of you be wiling to run me thru the process? I have a GlassRenu system. Thanks

I would love to help you, but I do not have the Renu system, I have a Makita DA3010F that I use to remove the “Haze” off the glass… I tryed talking to the guys at Renu and telling them I have the Makita DA3010F already I would like to BUY their discs and training info to learn it the right way and to get deaper, but they do not want to talk… “Buy the whole system only” I have not use for the big water tight case … They say they do not sell that verson with the Makita DA3010F any more…

I only want to do Auto glass Restore in small areas… That would go with my add on service… Auto only…
I can see the larger system you all use to go with your add on service doing window cleaning…

I will as a business person call this a “Lost sale”

I see where you are coming from…I was there at one time, but as time passed, and Glass Renu is still here, I’ve had a change of tune so to speak. The short, you’re not paying all that money necessarily for a fancy carrying case. Could I throw my grinder, a few pads, and some solution on the seat of my truck and go? Certainly. What you are really paying for as the whole package, is the support, especially on the level that they provide. And I just don’t mean phone support…I mean the ability to continue to survive as a profitable business so owners can continue to get pads, solution, upgrades, more R & D the list goes on. If they just sold grinding pads to every Tom Dick and Harry across the world…then you’d get that. Just pads…that’s what Home Depot and hardware stores are for, not specialty equipment designed for specific applications.

We are asked daily to just sell RenuDisks, or just the backing pads or just __________ rather than the complete system and Dave hit the nail on the head. The GlassRenu system is more than the sum of the components it is a process. The main reason we do not just sell the individual components has to do with the quality of repairs GlassRenu stands for. If we sell just the disks we have no way of knowing how they will be used. Ask any GlassRenu user if they think a Red disk should be given to someone for glass restoration without some understanding of the process and see what they tell you. Glass Scratch Removal has been around for over 25 years and there is a reason that it hasn’t been until the past 4-5 years that it is being taken seriously. I could sell the pads only, get them on the shelves of Home Depot or Lowes with ease and probably make 50 times more money than we do now, but at what cost? Ask anyone on WCR or anywhere else if GlassRenu works, if it can remove any damage from the surface glass or if they run into an issue if GlassRenu staff is there to get them through the job and see what they say. If we can’t control at a minimum how the tools are being used then GlassRenu will just become another Glasweld, Scratch-Hog or SRP. We are here for the long haul to not only provide the best tools on the market, but world class customer support.

I have started to do a lot more Headlights myself, I like doing them by the way.
What do you mean by “a down System???”
thanks ~Ed

A down system just means it does not have the heavy water feed duty grinder. it is a lighter water feed duty grinder. it does not have the whole kit of discs, just the last two or three… and a few other componits not included… works the same, just not fo deeper scratches… I still am not using it. It is shelved and I am still debating on continuing scratches in Auto glass, I would like to and there is a call for it were I am to a point, I can wait till I find a company or product that will come along

Thanks for that, I was thinking it was a smaller system, but then other thoughts as well.
Cheers

A down system just means it does not have the heavy water feed duty grinder. it is a lighter water feed duty grinder. it does not have the whole kit of discs, just the last two or three… and a few other componits not included… works the same, just not fo deeper scratches… I still am not using it. It is shelved and I am still debating on continuing scratches in Auto glass, I would like to and there is a call for it were I am to a point, I can wait till I find a company or product that will come along.