Door to Door, Knock or No-Knock?

no i don’t pay for the ones that are thrown away.

While I agree those are good numbers, $100 does not really equal $2500.

Average what YOU are worth to spend 3 days dropping flyers. What is your time worth?

It’s probably more like $700 equals $2500. And while that’s not horrible I would suggest looking into postcards.

My situation right now starting out is that I have more time than money. I may experiment with direct mail when I feel safer with my revenue stream. Until then, I’m taking the known quantities and making them work for me.

3 Likes

yeah, fliers/ door hangers are primarily for starting a business, i started 16 months ago and in the first 6-9 months i put out 3000 fliers/door hangers and i got better than 1% return, now the buisiness has grown that the most i do is put out 5 or 10 around a house i just finished. you can’t factor in -the cost of your time" because if you don’t have the work, you sitting on your couch is worth $0.00

1 Like

When I insisted the same thing about a wrap, I was a “moron” and an “Idiot”.

MOST people will ignore your wrap. Actually, almost everyone will ignore the wrap.

Flyers/postcards/doorhanger/eddm are ALL a game of numbers. You never expect a 10% return of calls.

And your one time purchase can’t get into people’s homes. You can’t interrupt people with your wrap, like a flyer/doorhanger/eddm can.

You go your way, and other will go theirs. You are the one losing out. The more you tell people that actually have got off their duffs and made a form of advertising work, that it doesn’t work, the less people are inclined to help you.

You don’t know, you only assume. You have been in business less than a year. WHAT exactly have you done, consistently? I am honestly betting, not much of anything. Even in a SMALL town, EDDM and flyers/doorhangers are a STAPLE.

It really doesn’t matter to me. You obviously don’t want to succeed. You want to hand out 1000 flyers and get 500 calls. It doesn’t work that way, and if you think it should, you don’t live in reality. You have a lot to learn, and I think you’ll be on your own before long. It seems like you are wearing yourself thin with other guys around here.

Your door hanger will be there when your potential customer gets home; while at work or at the grocery store they won’t see your wrap on the other side of town.

Your door hanger has a high probability of a positive reaction of - “oh I need that” and goes on the refrigerator magnet; your wrap they may see while passing you in traffic then they forget about it.

Your door hanger may be handed off to the one in the house who handles the purse; your wrap is but a blip on the radar.

A wrap is good to identify your service while you are in the driveway. But it does little to actually get someone to take a few moments to hold in their hand a brief resume of what you have to offer them.

1 Like

hey that’s great, personally i’ve never had a car or any vehicle that lasts forever.
i never said your wrap is bad idea vehicle advertising is a great idea. what i can’t believe is how determined you are to say that it is somehow better than flyers when you are not in a position to know. you often come across as an arrogant know it all without the long term business success to back it up.
if you don’t want to do flyers or knock on doors don’t but many of know us how successful they can be and many newbies come on this forum for good advice. you are actively putting out BAD INFO.
pig headed, close minded personal opinion that flies in the face of millions of dollars worth of window cleaning business do you think birds beware, all county window cleaning , kevin dubrosky and countless others built their very successful businesses by the use of vehicle wraps as their only form of advertising.
the op was asking for info on flyers and door knocking 2 subjects which you have no meaningful experience with.

3 Likes

I think it’s best to stop entertaining those who are contentious and suck the fun out of this forum.

My first EDDM is going out next week to an area we’ve had pretty good results already. I don’t post often because more often than not any questions I have were answered by someone else in older posts. Posts I read help me to have a little more backbone in pricing and how I present myself. It’s scary being a new business owner but my wife and I gather a lot of good from here. I just hope it can continue being a source for gathering and learning new info.

8 Likes

I signed up for SendJim. This weekend I am going to get several target areas ready for a post card bomb.

I wish you MUCH success with your EDDM campaign. Personally, it is not targeted enough for my area. Routes cover too many homes outside my target.

What is your backbone of your first campaign? A percent off, x windows for z dollars?

1 Like

Thanks, we can’t wait! It’s my first one so its not anything amazing. Offering 10% off two or more services done on the same day. $195 20 window special (c’mon, I stole that one from several of you lol). I’ll try to post how it looks but I’m hoping it’s the start of more consistent work for us. Haven’t tried door hangers yet but feeling really encouraged about trying that too.

1 Like

Those that “Get It” understand branding… and those that brand understand successful marketing is nothing but repetition and saturation. If branding was as simple as a “one time purchase” everyone would be successful at it.

5 Likes

Absolutely! This is why you hear over and over the radio ad, see the TV commercial, a billboard more than once. If one medium and one shot was all it took to be successful, then there would be no need for advertisement beyond a one shot deal.

Sounds like a solid offer.

I haven’t used door hangers yet. Where I am at, flyers or postcards (without the indentia) left in newspaper boxes, or targeted mailings work best.

Lots of guys are doing 5 or 10 arounds every time they can. As long as it is legal in your area to solicit.

I have even heard of some business owners, hiring young adults to flyer neighborhoods. It was quite a system, and actually could make the business owner money,

I’m not feeling so hot about my campaign. It went out two days ago and a friend who lives in a new condo complex said he received the mailer. Condos aren’t what I’m hoping to target. Error on my part for not being specific as to what area of the zip code I requested I wanted them mailed to. I just told ups $80-90k income range in X zip code. Feeling pretty disappointed with myself. :rage:

Door hangers and flyers are not considered soliciting by law.

http://www.vargainc.com/pdf/Collateral_LegalityofDoorHangers.pdf

Yea, give them a price range and stipulate no condos. Easy slip.

I don’t know if you read your own link or not, but they are trying to be sly.

First, many local governments have laws about soliciting. And yes, you or employees passing out flyer and door hangers on homes IS going to be considered soliciting in some places. It may be flat outlawed, or it could require purchasing a permit.

Even these folks admit, they have to get permits at times. And they check if they even CAN deliver in some instances.

Not trying to argumentative, but that is the truth. In my local, it IS against the law to solicit without a permit.

We are talking about business marketing, not someone in the neighborhood trying to rally people behind leash laws.