Eddm

Last summer when I started my business I printed 1k postcards and distributed them with a friend.

I got pretty good ROI on them and I also included my home address on the card as I thought customers would be more likely to call me if I was local to them. (I targeted my town and included my home address which had the same town.)

This year I want to do eddm, I don’t feel like distributing postcards and would much rather pay a couple cents per piece for the service.

My question is how should I go about this for anyone who markets this way.

Should I target my town again and include my home address?
Should I target a different town without including my address?
If so what are some things I should look for when targeting a different town?

My postcards are a “Window Cleaning Summer Special” sort of design.
I’m gonna list services such as Skylights, Glass & Mirrors, Shower Doors, & something else.

Also on the card what I want to include is something like: "15% discount applicable if service scheduled before 7/1/21.

Let me know what you think / any advice. This is going to be my biggest campaign yet.

Hi Narcos, I work with the print department at the WCR and live and breathe EDDM =) It really is one of the best marketing tools there is. We just did a full service order for someone and they have gotten $15k worth of business in the last 2 weeks. That may not always happen, especially the first time but repetitiveness is key. Sending out multiple small batches is more effective than one large batch.

When you are figuring out your routes, you want to hit areas you either can’t on foot due to solicitation rules, areas with current customers to add more or new areas for totally new customers.

If you do routes around your home, you will be making life easier location wise, but that may not be the area you really want to target.

If you use the EDDM tool on the USPS website, you can pull up a list view that gives you age range, income, etc. You can see what kind of demographic are in each of the locations you are looking at and see if they are right for you.

I will include the link for the EDDM tool here: Every Door Direct Mail | USPS

Your coupon, or call to action is super important. Make sure the deal is appealing enough but don’t sell yourself short. Make sure the expiration date gives enough time but not too much ( " for a limited time" is a good substitute if you are unsure on your date) but your date of 7/1 looks good if you get these rolling soon.

Lastly, remember that your postage will be 19.1 cents per card, paid to the post office, no matter how many or where you send them.

We offer print only as well as full service EDDM ( we mail for you) if you are interested. The print prices can be found here, and I can get you full service pricing if you are interested.

https://windowcleaner.com/postcard

Let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer them! You can also email me at [email protected]

Good luck!!!

3 Likes

I see no need to put your address on anything, a local phone number should suffice. Target where the money is. Your town another town, find out where the people are who will spend money on window cleaning. I don’t like the 15% off approach, I like X number of windows for whatever $, or Free screen cleaning or free skylights, or shower doors with a full house cleaning.

2 Likes

Keep marketing! Don’t stop, hit you higher end areas every couple of months. Stay in front of your potential customers.

I have had people call me with an old postcard they kept for years. (Ones I “designed” that are laughable and embarrassing to me today lol!!)
They called when they were ready… when you do a hob hit the neighborhood with your postcards or fliers.

If you haven’t read @chrislambrinides book!

Always keep marketing right? A large percentage of what I have made so far should go into marketing I assume… I’m going to invest around 60% profit I made back into marketing I think.

Invest what you can afford, but definitely have a budget. Keep rock’n and roll’n! Endurance is needed. Just remember you won’t see a huge ROI at first but keep it going

2 Likes

Defiantly don’t shotgun your money to EDDM for one campaign. Target your resources to hit the same route (or likely responsive routes) three times. EDDM just doesn’t work the first campaign.

1 Like

That’s the plan

1 Like