Employee Excuses

Ok, I’ve been employing people for 13+ years… and I just had a new call-in excuse today…

Employee- “Kyle, can I call in today because my wife has the stomach flu and would really like me to stay home today with her.”

Me- “…uh…what?”

Employee- “She would just really appreciate it if I stayed home and took care of her”

Me- “…The next 3 days are jam packed and I need all hands on deck. How about you make what is the best decision for you. You just let me know what that is and call me back soon and let me know.”

Employee- “oh…ok… I will.”

… this is unfortunately one of my better crew members who I was going to surprise today with a promotion because he had been doing so well this fall… promotion is now on the back burner…if only he knew

6 Likes

He showed up… not in the greatest spirits. These boys don’t know how to be the man of the house.

5 Likes

Honestly, Kyle, I don’t believe that was such a ridiculous request (really surprised you’ve never heard something like that in 13 years). I’m sure you’ve had a stomach flu before and been throwing up all day - it can really help to have someone by your side helping you out. Its draining both physically and emotionally.

If this guy called off all the time for flaky excuses then yes this could just be a lie. But a guy who’s proven himself already to the extent that you even were considering promoting him? C’mon. Not to be a jerk, but you’re being uncompassionate and unreasonable.

Just trying to give some perspective. And this is coming from someone who, when i worked for others, worked myself ragged, only called in sick when i was truly really really bad off, never called in for any other reason ever, and never made excuses.

Just my $0.02 fwiw :wink:

1 Like

A guy that briefly worked for me last year no showed on his 2nd day.

“My girl’s toy poodle died last night. I was up til 5 AM at the vet, can I have today off?”

Sure

He comes in the next day, and the day after that he disappears. I wrote him off. A week later he calls me and says he was in the hospital with kidney stones, and begs for his job back. I told him that if he could produce a Doctor’s note, he can come in. He tells me he can’t afford a doctor’s note because he spent his last $2000 having the dog cremated. I stand my ground about the doctor’s note, knowing he was full of shit (remember, he was supposedly in the hospital).

Another week goes by, and he calls me with a doctor’s note. I tell him to come in tomorrow. He no shows AGAIN!

In the meantime, we hired a high rise dude from San Fran that moved back to NJ. He lasted about a month before he called in “tired” two days in a row and I kicked him to the curb.

2015 was a rough year for staffing.

5 Likes

when you’re getting someone to do something they don’t want to do you can’t expect them to always be happy about it. hope he gets his promo.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what your saying , but I have had a stomaach virus my wife has had it , an neither of us would want the other to miss work for it.
To look at the other side most jobs have sick days so as a boss ya have to be leinenat , but honestly … man up is my first thought

My second thought is I would never call an say my wife has it , so I have to take off. I would of said i have it. So I appreciate the guys honesty

I understand everyone is different . I’m sure Kyle is still going to give the guy a promotion it’s just dishesrimg as a business owner to get a call like this when your busy
For me with a stomach virus or the flu my wife can’t do nothing for me. You don’t feel like eating all you do is throw up an what not sn lay in bed An cry
@Kyle. Ya have to still give him the promotion especially if it’s not s common occurrence

One other thing you have to look at is …like I said earlier the guy could of lied, but he didn’t. Me " I’m sick can’t make it today ".

3 Likes

We’ve all had things like this!

It’s amazing how many grandparents of new hires seem to end up in the hospital within the first few weeks of working, amazing.

I agree, give the promotion. One day doesn’t change it all, but I know the pit of annoyance in your stomach.

Makes you appreciate the amazing ones. Had this guy who had 5 kids to feed. His wife was in labor and I could not get him to leave a jobsite. "Dude it’s gonna be awhile, she is fine’ he told me for 2 hours. Same guy once ran to work when a co-worker failed to pick him up. Don’t know the distance probably 8-10 miles. I was amazed how quick he got there.

8 Likes

I never realized you would need to pay for a Dr.'s note

5 Likes

Alright, I’m gonna chime in on this one!

YES its a stupid request. Shes a grown ass woman who can take care of herself bro. A marriage is a team. You can’t just boo hoo and the world stops because your lady is sick man. People count on him for a million things. His boss, his wife (besides holding her hair back so she can yack…seriously? he should just go buy himself a purse while he’s at it!), and the bills he needs to pay.

It’s the flu bro, not cancer. She’ll be freaken fine.

You said yourself you never called in sick unless you were truly bad off. Thats WHAT A MAN DOES. You pay bills, take care of family and work til you freaken die. That’s our lot in life. That kid needs to tuck in his tampon string and get his rainbow coalition butt out of bed and get to work!

3 Likes

Seriously.

1 Like

That guy is THE MAN!

2 Likes

Maybe she’d get pissed at him because he stayed home to be with her when he should’ve been man enough to take his butt to work.

but he showed up

3 Likes

give the guy his promo, send his wife some flowers.

4 Likes

He still gets a demotion for thinking about it.

lol

He’s gotta be newlywed

3 Likes

lol

1 Like