Expanding Business and Hiring Employees

Hey All,

As your business expanded to the point of needing to hire help, how did you handle that new experience? What things do you suggest based upon what you did or would like to have done?

Its time for me to hire help and take more of a managerial role. My area holds tremendous potential for serious money; potential that cannot be tapped as a sole proprietor.

Respectfully,

EMM

1 Like

Clearly define job duties in writing so your new hires know what to expect. Have all your company policies in writing. Try to anticipate any issues that could potentially be a problem and address them upfront. Try to give a realistic picture of what the job entails so potential employees know what they are getting into. Hire smart. Don’t settle. Take the time necessary to find employees that you really believe will become all-star performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Like

It is important to hire individuals you can trust and also excel at interacting with customers. I am a perfectionist and I had the hardest time letting someone else do the work. However, you will come to realize you can not expand a business without adding employees. I have discovered on some smaller jobs it is actually taking us more man hours to complete the job, say three employees vs two, but it clearly outweighs the total hours of production. This year I had four part-time employees and increased my gross sales by 45%, which is phenominal. One thing about window cleaning is your ability to make excellent margins per man hour from employees vs. other service sector businesses, you just have to learn the most productive ways to assign employees to the jobs.

1 Like

Oh and my biggest advice… Do everything aboveboard. Don’t pay under the table or treat employees like subs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be sure to tell new workers they are on a trial period ,say 3 months. Long enough so you can let them go with no repercussions if they are not fitting in.

1 Like