Exposing the Rubber Edge using Microscopy

This is about a 500X magnification. It is a micrograph that I took of a rubber edge that had never been used. You want to look at the very top line separating the black from the grey area.

This second micrograph is an image of the same rubber but showing the other edge which was very badly worn from use. You want to look at the bottom line. There are three lines. The middle is the tear line of the Black Diamond rubber. You can plainly see how actual pieces of the rubber have dried up, become hardened, and broke away on the worn edge. This edge has also curved a bit from wear. And has many little white particles. They stick into the rubber, and if big enough along with the little chunks taken out, will leave water lines on the glass.

All of this tells us what type of product we need to preserve the edge. It must rejuvenate the chemistry of the edge to keep it from drying up. Also to give it more slip so it doesn’t rub so much. And to keep it clean by preventing silicate particles from sticking to the rubber and even embedding into the rubber.

I want to say that even the best rubbers out there will suffer wear and have to be thrown away. But there are products you can buy and use every day to keep those expensive rubbers moving. This I am looking into. And now have a way to actually “see” if they work!!!

I am going to begin another email newsletter called “Exposing the Microscopic World of Window Cleaning”. It will be totally free. I just need your email. Mine is [email protected]

Henry

3 Likes

Just buy new rubbers.

1 Like

I will probably keep on buying them at the same frequency but will enjoy the high quality longer. Nothing beats a brand new rubber for sure!

The first issue of Exposing the Microscopic World of Window Cleaning has been published. Featuring micrographs of rubber, cerium oxide, superabrasive powder, “invisibly” HF damaged glass surfaces, and a cross section of a urethane polishing pad. What can we learn from these images?

Just tell me you want it and I will send it over. This is a totally free gift.

Henry Grover Jr.
[email protected]
glasssmartconsulting.com

1 Like

Meh… for the most part that is the answer. Quck change/move on to the next…

• But I’m skeptical of my guys who refuse to use a sponge to wipe their blade/rubber.
  • Wet/fluid clearing shit, vs a dry, scratchy cleaning of debris off the rubber.

*'m no physicist," but I’d bet there is something to that.

1 Like

Are you for real??? I actually saw an ad from Detroit sponge and I thought it was a joke. Who needs a sponge to clean their rubber?? C’mon son

I’d like to see the newsletter

[email protected]

I’m 50 years old, and have been doing this for about 30 years…
Do not talk down to me.

• I’m cool talking techniques/exchanging ideas, but… get over yourself, because just because you don’t know, doesnt make you in a position of knowing shit.
2 Likes

27 years here, I just use my mop.

4 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

Mop here as well…

2 Likes

This ispertains to the natural sea sponge thread I have been using the natural sea sponge in my career for ever they work great for wiping your rubber blade they’re great for mopping up the sills they’re great for wiping down framework and will mold to anything also when you guys that use rags instead of natural sea sponge have to go out to the vehicle to get fresh ones were there inside still working with our natural sea sponge that we just rinse ring and keep going they may be pricey but to me they are worth their weight in gold

I am almost as old as you, and almost as experienced. To be honest, I just find the expression “C’mon son” funny and probably use it more than I should.

Having said that, you should not carry a sponge just to wipe your rubber in my personal opinion.

But, I am a full time route guy and I get that a sponge has more uses in Resi, but I am not carrying a sponge to wipe my rubber when I already have a towel and mop on my belt.

1 Like

I never do that

I am thinking the cutting edge is a hot topic. I know it is for me. A good wet rinse is what I use. Clear the dirt off that edge! And a good fresh new edge is usually great. There will be many more micrographs of the edge as I move ahead with this topic.

I have decided to put the newsletters in a new blogspot as individual JPeg posts. So you can pluck off each one, print, and pass it around. Or display on your phones. Or post on FB. The list is endless actually. Here is the link to the blog. Pass it around at the IWCA Convention this year. Have fun. Wishing I could be there. As always.

Henry
[email protected]
www.glasssmartconsulting.com

1 Like

Similar mindset…

I’m guilty of doing the same (with probably more aggressive wording.) lol
But I get the impression you are smart enough to understand my thinking (agree or not)

• When you wash your hair, you can rinse the shampoo (and dirt) out with fluid water.
  • Or you could just dry it with a towel.
    (incidentally, the “mop removal” is closer tho an agreement… the fluid/wet mop is better than the dry towel, IMO)
1 Like