Fall protection with ladders

Ok as I’m sure all of you get…

Are we really supposed to wear fall protection while on our ladder? This makes no sense to me at all…

Obviously for walking on roofs you should, but I get asked this ALL the time from people.

Any thoughts on this?

Next time someone asks, explain to them your “[I]3-step process[/I]”

1. Climb the ladder to the roof
  2. Attach/clip on
  3. Climb the ladder to the window
  • keep a straight face and just stare at them…

And ask them where their approved roof anchors are located.

HAH!!! When is the last time you saw one of these for real?

19 years, and not one on a house yet (in our area).

Ten years at every home we have done and I have seen an astounding “0” approved roof anchors.

Never seen one either.

Also I have been watching a 3 story build not far from my house. Big windows on the open water will need cleaning… :slight_smile: The workers walking the roof with no harness, no tie off, no nothing.

haha. the funny thing is that it’s never my clients that ask. it’s just friends or friends of friends.

I guess the OH&S officers here in calgary alberta area are going to actually become peace officers that can write you tickets on the spot.

but seriously. you are probably pretty much doubling the time of the job by putting on a harness. makes no sense at all.

oh wait. I found the answer

Ladder - Fall protection 
137(1) An employer must ensure that a worker working from a portable ladder
from which the worker may fall 3 metres or more uses a personal fall arrest
system.

137(2) Subsection (1) does not apply while the worker is moving up or down the
portable ladder.Occupational Health and Safety Code 2009   Part 8 

137(3) Despite subsection (1), if it is not reasonably practical to use a personal
fall arrest system, a worker may work from a portable ladder without fall
protection if

(a) the work is a light duty task of short duration at each location,

(b) the worker’s centre of balance is at the centre of the ladder at all times
even with an arm extended beyond the side rails of the ladder, and

(c) the worker maintains three‐point contact whenever the worker
extends an arm beyond a side rail.

so I guess it’s up for interpretation of the officer to say what a “short duration” is. heh

Actually according to OSHA one is supposed to take a 3 point stance on ladders,meaning 1 hand and both feet

This question puzzled us as well. I picked the brains at the convention and found this to be the case that I found makes sense most.

Most major companies require a fall arrest system on anything over 4-6 feet, their discretion. They typically also require a ground guy as well with this. The thought is that if you fall and the ground guy does his job, the fall arrest, with proper 12" lanyard, would prevent you from falling from the ladder if you slipped.

We decided to try this approach and the customers are happy. We spend an extra $10 for the hours work on ladders. If properly priced knowing this it will be profitable just the same. Most of the customers that complain of this are happy to pay for the ground guy if you tell them that is built in for safety.

Thought I would share.

Thanks for the info. I would certainly guess that washing a window would count as a ‘short duration’. Perhaps installing one wouldn’t :slight_smile: (not to mention, the 3-point rule would be impossible to follow)

Use a leg lock, I can explain further if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app John Donahey

$10 bucks says the guys who make this stuff up are doing it while “[I]securely fastened[/I]” TO A DESK!

[[U]Subsection 1 does not apply when[/U]…]

So I can climb up with some sloppy wet shoes, but only when I get [B]safely in a still position[/B], do I need to strap my ass in?

Good grief. :rolleyes:

Wfp