Fanning was effortless today

Not a single streak, not a single rainbow, not a single wasted movement. Just effortless, efficient, effective fanning. Don’t know why some days just work and others don’t, but it sure felt great.

11 Likes

Which squeegees are you using these days?

Soap ratio was on point

2 Likes

some glass is better than others

5 Likes

Still using the Unger Ergotec red handle, currently paired with a 12" ettore stainless channel with ettore rubber. Best combo I’ve used thus far. Among other things, i really like a channel with clips; find it much better than clipless. Also, this channel doesn’t drip pretty much at all.

Still wanna pick up an ettore aluminum with quick release but I’ll proly be done experimenting after that, aside from giving my unger 0° a spin once i get the quick release kit.

It feels really good just knowing what works for you and consistently getting the results you want.

5 Likes

I also tried a different soap blend today. Had been using GG4 with natural Dawn, but decided to give GG3 a try after i found out that 4 is for hard water and 3 is for soft. Our water is about 56 tds so i thought why not see if it makes a difference. Now it could be in my head, but 3 seems slipperier than 4. Bummer, cause 4 smells so good whereas 3 smells meh. It’s also cool that my solution is now perfectly clear, as if it was just water only. Anyway, will continue testing…

4 Likes

Yeah the rubber tip is much more stable and consistent for cutting in accurately. Glad you found something that works for you!

Now you gotta try all the different types of end clips…just to be sure.

2 Likes

I switched to Unger handles on my Ettore brass channels as well. The clip on the Ettore quick release handles wears out fast.

PS
I like clips on my channels as well.

2 Likes

Brass is better than aluminum but I know you need to spend the money and see for yourself. :sunglasses:
Haha

3 Likes

Sometimes humidity is your enemy.

2 Likes

They added a few extra features to GG3 when they came out with GG4. More cleaning power, a blue color so the water would not be clear, evaporating more slowly off the glass and it works better in hard water areas. Its an upgrade from gg3. They’re customers asked for these features so they improved their game. They both work well in soft water areas.

PS
Heard this directly from Harv Berger.

2 Likes

Haha actually i already have several brass channels, but I like stainless a tad better. Imo the lower weight is a bit more comfortable, but it’s still heavy enough to pressure the glass sufficiently with no additional pressure from me. Add to that being more durable and not getting that yucky corroded look…for me it’s perfect.

As far as aluminum channels, they are too light. What I’m willing to try though is an aluminum handle since i discovered that i really like a heavier channel paired with a lightweight handle. In the end, maybe it’ll turn out that the Ergotec really is just the way to go.

1 Like

I love when it’s so humid you can’t help but create drag lines/rainbows with every movement, then those lines blossom into a tesselation of dirty water as it runs UP the glass. Sheesh :expressionless:

Blockquote[quote=“WVWindowWashing, post:12, topic:43722”]
that yucky corroded look
[/quote]

Called patina. And it’s awesome. Makes you look like you’ve been cleaning windows since the Victorian Era.

5 Likes

I think this is what makes gg4 so awesome , if you happen to leave a drip or streak it should dry up clear. You can still see it if you’re looking for it , but not so easyly

3 Likes

side to side and straight pulls use less brain power and are more efficient :slight_smile:

1 Like

This feels like a very dumb question being that I’m not a total newb anymore, but @Kyle what exact straight pull technique do you teach your guys? I ask because I can fan resi half-decently and straight pull storefront using the sevens method with great results. But for some reason I suck at straight-pulling for resi. It makes no sense!

I’d say the main problem I have is that there’s always a smear of water on the edge that I pull from. Here’s what I do: 1. Wet window. 2. Dry top and left edge with rag. 3. Pull from left to right. 4. Wipe squeegee blade and repeat.

I feel like I shouldn’t ever need to wipe the squeegee if I know what I’m doing, but I haven’t been able to achieve good results without doing so. And really, I hate having to do a dry critical edge as well. I feel like if I don’t need to do it for storefront, why would I suddenly need to on resi. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Daniel, please stop shaming yourself. “I should…” sets you up for shame when you don’t fulfill.

Also, you do know what you are doing. No question. You have made such rapid progress in such a short time and have availed yourself of this forum, as well as pushed yourself with challenging jobs.

As far as the resi, why not use the next size down from what you’re using and cut all 3 of your edges? No ragging first, I’m saying.

3 Likes

Thank-you very much for the kind words, Jordie! Very encouraging.

Are you saying use a second squeegee for the edges? And then how do i dry the blade before each pull?

Ok, i reread. I misunderstood. Thought you were having trouble fanning resi.

What confuses me is if your left edge is completely dry and your squeegee is completely dry, then there wouldn’t be any water to streak. In fact, you might find it a tad difficult to start your stroke on the dry window and perhap some squeaking?

So there must be some water being left behind somewhere. Its either from the squeegee or the window.

I’m thinking Tap Tap Tap or Digging Out solves for x.

I hope every day your in the field work is like that, even if every once an while when you have those rough days just remember that it can and will be enjoyable again soon.

4 Likes