Finding your place

I have an old person question. I have enjoy reading topics for many years here but the past year and a half or so I have had a frustration. It used to be that as I read the thread of a topic over many days, when I came back to the topic the next day, it would jump right to where I had last read. For well over a year now when I return to a topic it always takes me back to the beginning. To return to where I last read I the have to scroll down from the beginning of the topic. Is there a setting I have unknowingly changed or any thing I can do so that I can come back to a topic and start reading where I left off? Thanks

Hi Dave! Hmm thats a weird one. So basically you are not seeing this line?

Let me ask you some questions…

1. Can you confirm that you are always signed in when this happens?
  2. Does this happen on mobile or desktop?

Chris,

I do see that line. It does show the topics that I haven’t seen since the last time I used the app.
I think I am signed in. There is capital D in the circle below the search button. (D being the first letter of my user name I guess.)
I just signed in again. I will see if it makes a difference.
I pretty much only use the app.

If you are cool with it I can log into your account and check out your settings and do some tests. Let me know Im happy to check it out for you.

Chris,

That would be fine.

Dave

Ok cool, I just checked it out. I think perhaps it might be related to cache or privacy settings you have on your current device. Let me show you my tests:

You can see here these light grey threads indicate that you have previously viewed them.

Then I clicked into both of them. It did bring me to the last threads that you haven’t viewed yet.

AND

Im sorry I don’t have a better answer for you. Im sorry for the frustration :slight_smile:

Maybe it is related to the VPN or privacy browser I run on my phone.
Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

same thing here, thread shows up as new post has been made, but then scroll down and see its the same last post that was already read

something changed somewhere at some point i guess

the thread how low can you go always takes me to post 12/17 even though ive read the whole thread

the thread with all the truck setups always takes me to Art’s tequila bar picture lol, even though so many posts have been made since then

weird

I can confirm it has been this way for at least 6months
It was a little frustrating at the beginning, now I just hit the end key and scroll up

1 Like

Our long-term forum developer was investigating the issue this morning. He said the following:

This is likely to be because of new privacy features in most browsers basically killing/expiring cookies.

It’s been doing it to me for 6+ months, as well. I find the only times it “saves my spot”, is when I make a post. Then the forum will treat that as the last read/visited post.

Strangely, it doesn’t happen on the PWR forum.

thank you @Chris