First time clean vs maintenance cleans

Hey guys, so What do you do differently on first time cleans than on normal maintenance cleans? Also if your buffing windows with steel or bronze wool what do you use on tinted glass? I’m under the impression wool will scratch tinted glass

We don’t do much different on first cleans.

Anytime washing tinted glass that is after market, like a film be cautious of anything you use. Likely scratches easily

3 Likes

I don’t really do anything different, but the maintenance usually goes much quicker cause there is less filth/neglect to deal with.

4 Likes

A lot less steel wool to go through if any on a maintenance

1 Like

For first time cleans do you guys scrub/buff all the windows with wool?

I scrub every window with a 3m synthetic steel wool pad wet, then buff out any specs that survived with bronze wool dry. Magic eraser if there’s a lot of silicone.

Only if they need it.

For residential window cleaning I like to use steel wool on almost all first time cleans. I know it may add a little extra time, but I want to make sure I do a thorough job and that the customer will be happy with the results. On maintenance cleans I will use a WFP. For Commercial I usually do not use steel wool on first time cleans. I just mop it and squeegee it off. Never use steel wool on window film. I have even seen where your mop can scratch window film if any debris is left on the mop. Be sure to rinse it off really good before applying it to the glass. Don’t use a mop with an abrasive fabric and you should be good. Hope that helps.

1 Like

A hogs hair brush on a storefront first time clean makes cleaning a filthy window a breeze.

4 Likes

Sighhhhhhh… Great, now that’s another thing to add to my already in the thousands window cleaning wishlist.

4 Likes

A pulex micro tiger sleeve works almost as well, if your budget is limited @WVWindowWashing

Hmm that’s disappointing then cause the microtiger is my go-to but it’s only ok imo.

I’m wishing i could change my procedure because i feel it’s gonna be too hard on my body long-term. I think I’m scrubbing way too much and I’m feeling it in my shoulders and arms. Have been using 3m pad and bronze wool, but considering switching back to tried and true steel wool (not that I’m in love with that either). Also thinking of exploring a more powerful cleaning solution for bad exteriors. Not sure what to try though.

1 Like

Definitely, a hogs hair brush on dirty Windows is huugge. I was gifted one by an older window cleaner and love it. It’s best (imo) to use dry before cleaning.

1 Like

Your talking residential windows, not storefront…correct?

If there isn’t much difference between maintenance and first time cleaning why do people charge more for first time cleans ? Also how much more do you normally charge for a first time clean ?

I don’t charge any different. I don’t have a first time clean price, just a standard price for each time I come. The only time I offer a discount (and this is for residential only) is if they book again within 3 months then I’ll do 20% off since I was just there

2 Likes

I don’t charge extra for first time cleans, but I will discount my regular rate for subsequent cleans based on frequency.

My first time cleans are very thorough, a “complete overhaul” as I tell my customers. It’s nothing I don’t do on subsequent cleanings, just more elbow grease to get the place in shape according to my standards. Then the next time through I follow the same method, but it’s much quicker because the last cleaning was 6-12 months ago instead of years/decades.

I give a 20% discount to customers who book on a quarterly cleaning schedule since I save tons of time by cleaning stuff that isn’t terribly dirty to start with.

2 Likes

Those Quarterly Maintenance jobs are nice. The first go around you do the heavy lifting, after that every three months they get a price break and your job is easier. If they opt for 6 months or yearly it is full price and even subject to change. I keep my quarterlies locked in for a good three years on price before I adjust up.

2 Likes

I make my money on maintenance cleans. I usually eat the profit the first time around. After that it’s all gravy.

I don’t offer discounts for signing on. Unless I’m trying to get a big job to go from annual to bi-annual. I might budge a little there. Not on small stuff…

4 Likes

Correct. Storefront i rarely need more abrasion than my microtiger. But a lot of resi’s haven’t been cleaned in years.

2 Likes