Footing the Ladder

There are many devices out there to foot your ladder when working at heights, solo.

The best is having a person to foot the ladder, but when your working solo what have you found to be “tried and true”?

Safety is the thing that matters!

1 Like

I have a condo that I do (3 story) and I hammer a piece of rebar into the ground and tie off with a length of rope.

I have also tied off to a residential fence post that sits around an A/C unit.

One other job a long time ago I put a knot in a rope and set it under the door that I closed over it.

3 Likes

I’ve done the knot trick in the past too! :wink:

I’ve have few jobs coming up “CCU” at 3-3.5 stories coming up, on sloped walkways and parking lots and in dirt. The interiors the floors will be granite ect so slick (before anyone ask lift is not included) That would make life easy! :wink:

I hope this thread can help some newbies out also… :wink:

This is the safety device I use currently… The pivot ladder tool.

I’m also looking at this device…
https://www.altonladders.co.uk/latest-news/foot-the-ladder-3

I do the same when setting the ladder. Ladder levelers are a must.

I have two of those Pivit Tools. $99 for the first one, then saw one for $25 on Craigslist! Great little tool.

I have seen that “Foot-The-Ladder” before. Perhaps one day I shall add that to the arsenal.

1 Like

Eh, define “the best” option…

I’ve seen, watched, and had “experienced” people think footing the ladder is holding the 4th rung up, while checking their email.

Footing the ladder means “I got you, if your ladder slides, I know what to do to compensate. For long enough for you to get your ass down safely.”

That’s what I offer… I will lift you and your ladder, if need be, to a pivot point where you can get down.

Enough, “how fast am I” videos… Let’s see some that talk logistics, physics, and why I can trust you with my life on 4 1/2 pieces, if need be.

6 Likes

We’ve talk about that before…[quote=“JfromtheD, post:8, topic:39195”]
Footing the ladder means “I got you, if your ladder slides, I know what to do to compensate. For long enough for you to get your ass down safely.”
[/quote]

That what I mean foot the ladder! :wink:

I agree safety should be the most important idea in mind “all day”…

Yeah… “Dont worry, I gotcha.”
Until something happens…

2 Likes

Those four words burn my ears.

1 Like

@JfromtheD what do you use to foot a ladder when needed?

My most trustworthy guy…
But again, it’s an experience thing, you can’t promise a reaction, when you’ve never been in the situation.
(I’ve watched a dude literally tip toe/dance, and back off)

I realize I derailed the thread, but it’s proof, I’m apparently looking for the same thing you are.

1 Like

Doesn’t solve setting on sloping concrete or asphalt or on slick interior surfaces.

I figured I wasn’t the only one.