French pane nightmares

What do you have them in increments of like half an inch?

I don’t know how others do it, but you can get away with a 1/4", but a complete kit should have sizes at 1/8" incremements for the most common 5"-8" sizes. if you use 1/4" increments you have to change rubber sizes more often…I hardly ever have to change sizes. It makes a huge difference. Also, always write the sizes on them in permanent marker and then coat that with clear nail polish. That way you get to a job, measure the pane of glass, and then size down a 1/4 inch to find the right squeegee. (there should be an 1/8" rubber on each side.
Once you get a kit together, you will never go back. It saves sooooo much time, especially when most of the windows in a house are the same. It also makes training a newbie almost easy if they only have to squeegee straight down. Also, I use water with super slip in it so that the panes stay wetter longer.

I do the same thing! I carry around an extra 18" channel or 2 at all times to custom cut whenever I need it. The 6.25 incher gets the most abuse, with the 3 incher right behind it. If I run into any odd sizes I basically cut as needed so that I can get the panes in one swipe. Makes life so much easier.