Fridge and Freezer Doors

I do a lot of Dollar Stores and they just asked me to start doing their fridge and freezer doors at each location inside and out. I have never done them and I have found only a few threads with any advice.

I just want to ask, would anyone suggest unger indoor system with invisible glass (or something else) or just do them traditionally? If mop and squeegee should I use soap and alcohol in my water or something else? How much alcohol should I use to keep it from freezing? Also if they are tempered can I use my white pad to get milk off or will I have to use something else? Is there anything that I need to be prepared for that someone who has never cleaned fridge/freezer doors?

Please respond to any of those questions you may have insight on, any help would be appreciated!

Over fanning really shows each time door is opened and condensation appears.

Here are my tips.

2 Likes

Traditional, white pad is fine to use. Methanol to keep from freezing, use gloves though, methanol can get in through your skin. Not too healthy for you. Or washer fluid.

Add windshield washer solvent. Will make your life a lot easier…

1 Like

May feel a little more ‘dry’ (meaning less glide) but it will help with the condensation issue.

I had 5 grocery stores at one time and we did the freezer doors quarterly. Love the door stop idea it would have been lots of help. Also we did not have the green pads then so I think that would be a great time saver. The foam cleaner has lots of alcohol so it should not freeze with the open door technique

Ok I was just wanting to go back and answer my own question since I have a little experience now and maybe it’ll help the next guy looking for advice and maybe I’ll continue to get advice in this thread.

I have tried 2 things. Opening 10 doors at a time and waiting on the glass to warm up so I can use soap and water to clean the insides. In my opinion that looks bad because the stores are open while I do it and it blocks a lot of walk way for customers and I just didn’t like it as much.

The second thing I did was buy 91% isopropyl alcohol from amazon. Six 32oz containers for $19. The mixture I use in a pump sprayer is 80% alcohol and 20% water. It doesn’t freeze at all that way. I tried 1:1 but it froze. I do the insides of the freezers only with the alcohol mix and I do the outside door windows with regular soap and water as well as in/out of all refrigerator doors with soap and water because they keep the temp at 37 degrees. I have had to use a scraper for the hundreds of stickers they leave on these doors. The glass is tempered but I wet it very well and it has yet to scrape any doors (I am not suggesting anyone do this because I know the risks but it is something I have had success with and also I don’t just go scraping wildly, I use it as little as necessary)
I use a moerman excellerator to be as fast as possible when applying solution and flip the pad over and squeegee quickly with great results so far. It sometimes leaves a little wet looking residue on the inside of the window of the freezer door but it dries crystal clear. Give it a few minutes.
Each store has like 40 cooler doors plus the storefront. Lots of bending up and down. With 40 doors and 17/18 storefront windows in/out on all it takes me 1.5 to 2 hours depending on previous cleanliness. I’ve been in business for 4 years and weigh 300 lbs (the fat kind not the built linebacker kind)
This may give you too much info but it’s the information I wish I had when searching out advice.
I accept any more suggestions and constructive criticism.

1 Like

You can buy 91% alcohol at Wal-Mart for two bucks a quart. Some guys use washer fluid, but I have been using alcohol this winter. Don’t want to chance leaving blue stains and ticking someone off. I also use soap in my mix (GG4). For me, a quart a gallon has kept the water from freezing in temps as low as 10 degrees. I don’t pound out store fronts every day like some here do, so take that for what it’s worth.

Thanks alot @ ace22286

When I’m working in below freezing temps I’ve learned it’s helpful to have 1 squirt bottle of soapy water, and 1 squirt bottle of soapy alcohol. If the water starts freezing then I just squirt the alcohol on the mop and it works like a charm. The other nice thing is there’s not a possibility of getting the wrong ratio of water to alcohol.

This winter I literally have cleaned windows with 100% washer fluid and there has been no problem at all.