Getting neighbors business

Getting my side business going, just wondering how people handle neighbors. Do you go after them with door knocking/flyers? Try to stay away from them? Let them come to you? Any thoughts appreciated!

Depends where you live? My neighborhood is definitely not my market, but if it were I would do fliers and door knocking there too.

1 Like

I don’t knock on peoples doors. I do a business card approach for shops, stores, and clinics, where I put the price for IN/OUT and OUT ONLY on the back and get it to the person in charge.
Most of the areas near me have NO SOLICITING signs, but I do drop door hangers and at times use mailers.
I door-hanger the areas that look like they maintain their properties and hire services like pool maint., yard maint., housekeepers, etc., then pretty soon the phone starts ringing and land a few of those neighborhoods. Most stores and shops are slow to come around, but when they do they usually keep you. (It takes a lot of them to make a decent pay, so mix them in with slow residential jobs).
When you land a job in a residential that you haven’t door hagered in a while, before you leave drop 5 or 10 up one side of the street and 5 or 10 down the other side of the street. Likely someone saw that you were cleaning windows at their neighbors and may just call for theirs too.
Look, act, appear, and work professional and chances are likely they will have you back because repeat customers are your bread and butter.

1 Like

Try downloading the Nextdoor app , that’s great for getting your neighbors business

2 Likes

I’ve door knocked on neighbors a few times…in richy areas you will run into the “no soliciting” karens. One lady wouldn’t even open the door to take a card. It was hillarious.

I like EDDM. Once you get the printing done the USPS cost isn’t too bad and well worth it in time saved walking door to door.

Got a message to clean these windows after doing their neighbors windows today.
Ugh! Trying to avoid 3 story jobs, and from the picture it looks like tight space.
Although today’s job was $800.00, This may be more, so there is that. :wink:
CCU too by the looks of it. Double ugh!!