Getting ready to begin a new business!

Hey all!

Wanted to introduce myself, as I’ll be starting a window cleaning business in mid-November. I wanted to start over a year ago, but I’m stuck in a non-compete agreement until then :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been cleaning windows for about 15 years now (currently 33 y/o). Started with a guy who only did CCU, then worked for a guy who only did storefront/pole work, then worked for a guy who did a bit of everything (power washing, WFP, sectional ladders).

I’ve done about everything except hi-rise work (not interested), and I’ve done side work as a DBA and LLC a few times, and I never did any marketing since it was a side-gig when I worked on my own.

Now, I want to try and build a legit business. I’ve worked on estimate pricing, financial goals, initial overhead, etc. (including setting up an account on this site - been leaning a lot from reading the forums over the Summer).

I can only start off doing 2 days a week max, since I have an at-home job and watch our newborn while my wife works.

my motivation: I’m tired of getting anxiety whenever I have to pay for gas in my van because my job only pays my rent + utilities and little else (my work doesn’t scale, either - flat pay). I’m tired of having student loan debt over my head. and I’m living with a “someday things will get better” mentality. Screw that noise, I want to get out there and build something without selling my soul and missing out on my kids growing up.

I have been able to save a few hundred over the Summer for startup capital. Looking at licensing, insurance, and door hangers at first. Hoping to pick up a job or two to get some more money for business cards and a separate work phone before I print off marketing materials.

Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to afford a nice WFP setup before Fall 2022!

3 Likes