Growth 1st Year, Expectations?

I have searched a lot for this on the form, but I wanted to run this by everyone anyway for thoughts. Sorry for the long post.

We have just under 350 a month right now in storefront with only minimal effort in selling since June. Less than 10 days of going out part time to sell is what I mean by minimal. We close about 4- 5 percent as recurrant business. I was trying to wet my feet and fill in for missed income for my Wife as she goes to school.

I am looking at going full time in the next two or three months. Some demographics/pricing for my area- 3 dollars a pane (1.50 side) for most store fronts seem to be the going rate, and 10 for a double hung with a screen clean and sill wipe for resI. I would have a 15 minimum for storefront. I have access to over 500k in population within a 30 minute drive. I have read where some are able to do restaraunts weekly at about 100 dollars a visit, so I was hoping to do 1 or two restaraunts a day, and then fill in with storefront for the rest of the day to reach 200 day/5 week within about 5- 6 months. I need to reach about 2700 a month within 2- 3 months of going full time. My goal within a year would be an average of 300 day/5 days a week, with some resi mixed in to reach that. I may move more toward resi later, but I need the consistency more right now. I am solo, with only a few months experience right now. I am thinking to make this work I will need to work 40- 50 hours a week starting out, maybe 60. In that estimate I am including everything that will take my time. I am hoping to be running about 1 minute a surface when I go full time as far as speed in front of the glass.

At first I would be pounding the streets to get business, with no other marketing than a WordPress website.

So with that, does it sound crazy, possible but not likely, or likely with hard work? Is there any more info needed for a good opinion? Thanks in advance for the input!

1 Like

Dude, I see minimum and consistent a lot in that post. From my experience both words can bad for my business. You got to go out and give it all everyday. IF you do that, the word consistent will be your friend. My first month (january 2016) was about 350 gross. This month, I’m on track for 3500. I got steady retail routes the first couple weeks of the month and then switched to marketing residential just recently. The retail is about 2k of work, that pays the bills minimally. Then any residential is basically money for me. Go all out or go home. Not to be a dick, but your customers deserve a guy that’s all in.

2 Likes

sounds reasonable to me.

So, going by the info you supplied, if you canvassed 50 stores per day, you’d land approx. 2 sales per day (4.5% sales rate) at a minimum of $15 once/month. In 3 months you’d reach your $2700 goal. That sounds pretty reasonable. But also not factoring in anything else that might speed up/slow down the process.

I vote for #3. Just say to yourself, “I. Am. Going. To. Make. This. Happen.” and then put forth your best effort, you will be amazed with the results.

Once people see you out there cleaning, it’s the best advertising. They will come up to you asking for resi and commercial. “They” being your customer’s customers, other storefront owners, passersby, referrals from your present customer, your customer’s own house, etc. Perhaps you’ve found this to be true already?

Awesome.

People don’t buy products or services. They buy experiences. Meeting them in person allows them to experience YOU. You are the one thing that makes your company different from any other business and they are buying that more than anything.
https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-customer-loyalty-products-services-experiences

Screens are a pain. Removing, cleaning, arranging them to dry, reinstalling. It can be the most time consuming and back breaking part of the job.
Additionally, those corners can rip right through the screen behind it like butter. One gust of wind or a moment’s lapse in concentration and there goes 25 bucks to repair it. (Speaking from experience.) $3 per screen or more to clean would be well within reason.

Storefront work is an engine to resi, imo. I have probably 5 ppl per week ask for resi work. You may find the same.

You already have some momentum with the business you’ve accrued. I have total confidence you’ll reach your goals!

Thanks for the feedback! I think I can do more, but I always try to estimate well lower than what I think I can do so as to leave room for the unexpected.

Good for you man! This has become our best month, 13 months in. Did about $2,200 this week. Our best yet!

4 Likes

Is this including all your personal needs and does it cover all business cost (taxes,insurance,gas,market material ect) and leave room for the business to profit.

Just make sure you include every thing that is needed.

Remember its not going to be easy but it will be worth it.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you your feedback on your first year. I think you may have mistaken me though on the tone of my post. I was trying to get a rough estimate from those that have been there if my numbers were feasible or a pipe dream. I haven’t been able to go after I all out as I have a full time cube farm job, a wife, and a house to take care of. I stated minimal sales effort in my first post to give the impression that I understand it will take much more just 10 days of sales. Almost all my customers have been very happy with my work. The one or two that were not were partially my fault and I have made corrections to my processes since then.

1 Like

I think at first 60 hour weeks will be a minimum. Sales and washing those accounts when you get them. For the type of dollars you expressed that you need, I would market residential heavier. Route is consistent but obviously lower paying. Anything is possible if you hit the streets hard enough. For me things are easier when my back is against the wall. If I have to, I damn sure Will. If it’s kinda oh that would be nice, it takes me longer for some reason. That’s why In my instrument panel I wrote on a sticky “all in” kinda remind me to keep the have to I’m mine instead of the want to.

2 Likes

If one man can do it another man can. People in your area are obviously making a living otherwise they wouldn’t be there. You just have to find your niche to squeeze into. If you’re willing to work you can make a living, just have to make the right moves and live simple especially when starting out.

I think ive canvassed 2 days since the begining 2-1/2 years ago and have only had one day in about 2 years that i didnt have work when i wanted it. I have boxes of marketing material in my closet. You will hit a rythm and if your smart you’ll soon enough br spending the time making money than pounding pavement looking for it.

2 Likes

Your numbers seem reasonable to me The winter can affect your income, but with a mix of storefront, you should be okay?

If you can push hard 50+ hours per week, I would imagine you could grow like that.

You may hit your average goal, but remember there will be some weeks where you have to book way more work to offset the slower months. Again, depends on your season in your area.

3 Likes

Heres a thread that might interest you (there tons on the forum) search you will be surprised…

http://windowcleaner.com/t/im-proof-you-can-make-it-on-storefronts-alone-motivation-for-the-new-guys/13315

3 Likes

All I have to add is that it is not common to have straight line growth when you are the primary marketer. In my experience when I got jobs all my effort went into getting them done and my pavement pounding marketing lagged. Now that I am getting a few referrals and repeats and my advertising is getting some results it is less stratified.

2 Likes

I would add this: good job on having goals; a business plan and daily/weekly/monthly etc. goals are frequently neglected. That said, don’t overthink things either. And don’t be married to your expectations because anything can happen. Plan, but be prepared to continually change the plan as you gain experience and as circumstances change. Don’t allow discouragement to take over if things don’t go according to plan. Just regroup, be flexible, and continue to work hard.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Growth is relatively easy, but make sure you keep your numbers in check while growing.

It took me 5 years before I saw my first $10k week, and it became the norm this spring.

Funny thing is, my take home pay didn’t really change much, and there was a whole host of new stressors and expenses to deal with while in growth mode.

Ask yourself how big you want to grow, and are you growing for growth’s sake. Sometimes keeping it small is the best way to actually make money.

11 Likes

Great Post Chris!

I agree 100%. All depends on how much stress you can handle.

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed post and thoughts! I agree with everything you said, and so far I’m glad no one thinks I have a pipe dream! I will hopefully have time to read the article tonight for tomorrow.

This amount would just be the starting point as a bare minimum for that timeframe. I would shoot for $1K week within 6 months, which is more in line with starting to be profitable for me. I know there are always hidden costs and unexpected things, but from everything I have come up with for the very short term $2,700/month should work.

Everything is possible, it going to be tough to get to that 1k mark a week in your first 6mth to be honest. But it can be done (if your ducks are in a row), you have to push from sun up to sun down “everyday.”

Good luck out there keep us updated on your progress.