Gutter access issues

This roof looks very easy to walk with little danger. Try a chicken ladder . It is a hook ladder that hooks over the ridge. You could walk down the ladder on the roof to access.

Definitely try using the standoff whenever possible with a man footing it at the bottom. Another way is to take the roof cap up to the next level. It helps to have great water pressure along with gutter poles and spoons and a sweeper nozzle. The main thing is having an extra person footing your ladders.

This is a cakewalk…

Personally, I wouldn’t be scared to walk it. It’s not far from the bottom of the roof where you can use the brick work to assist you up to the peak. Then get on the next roof and straddle the valleys.

…and Dan is old. He’s said so himself before.

Those are second story and in front… it looks like the tree line is in back, so it’s unlikely many leaves get there and the back drainage section of both sections looks clear…if I couldn’t walk to it (it does look walkable, but maybe the picture doesn’t do it justice) then I’d try and get a hose to it to test it out…if it was clear, I’d skip it.

We have a guarantee in place for all gutter cleanings anyway and I’d just make a quick note in the invoice that though it appeared to be clear and free flowing, to keep an extra eye on that section…worry about getting complicated with it if it’s actually clogged.

I realize that many gutters in these locations are empty, but these were chock full. I took the picture after they were cleaned and the pine needles were backed up in the valleys beforehand.

Personally I wouldn’t sweat walking that roof, but when I do feel nervous I have 80 feet of 5/8 poly rope, a rope grab and a harness. The issue for me would be if it were a wet and dilapidated shake roof. That would make me use ladders exclusively and/or pass on the job.
I bought the rope at Lowes and the rope grab at my local window washing store. The harness was left over from my days as an Ironworker. I will say that even at times just the rope in one hand and scooping the gutter (sans harness) has given me the comfort to knock out the job with ease.
I wouldn’t remove it from your services…holy crap, the return on investment is huge. The dollars per hour are huge.

My 2 Cent$

If you have a pressure washer and an extension wand, you can clean the ones in the funny spots with a gutter ball or an attachment with two opposing 15 degree spray nozzles and knock the gunk right out of there, we used it on 75 of the 400 unit condo complex we cleaned and it works great.

thats exactly what i was going to suggest. get as close to the gutter on a ladder as possible and attach a scoop (i use a small gardening tool, “the claw” we call it, attach to 4ft or whatever sz pole and do it that way. If its going to put you or an employee in danger…dont do it. Not worth it.

HAHAHAHAHA sorry Dan

I have a couple guys we call Spiderman. I always say if you don’t feel safe you shouldn’t do it. They are the guys I put on gutter cleaning duty as soon as the season starts. Those guys are HUGE money makers.

What are the OSHA requirements on a job like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump

easy there.

You should be able to crawl up that valley of that roof. I would actually set the ladder on the opposite side, crawl up side by using the side of the house where you can then get to the valley of the A peak and then cruise on down to the other side. With stuff like that I normally would use a blower or a pole with gutter scooper attached. Some crews are opposed to using blowers because they can be messy, but if you are careful it can actually help out a lot on those hard to reach places. You just have to make sure that you clean up the flower beds and perhaps hose off some of the house if necessary.

I would just tie off with a rope and use 2 Prusik knots( with a back up safety device ascender). Make sure not to tie off to a car or truck unless you have the keys in your pocket. Really it does happen.

Older every day!:wink:

[COLOR=“royalblue”][/COLOR]

That is so true. I won’t send someone up who is fearful either. Bad for morale and efficiency.

What about the guys who are overconfident and think they are bullet proof? That could be just as dangerous, possibly more dangerous

Agreed Larry. There’s a balance needed between confidence and complete presence of mind and physical ability.