Gutter Helmet, how to clean?

Hi guys.

Got a call today from a guy with the Gutter Helmet style gutter guards. He says there’s some debris in his gutters, though he’s not sure how, and they need cleaned out.

I’m happy to do it, but how difficult is it to get underneath these guards? I’m sure I’ll figure it out when I do the estimate but it’d still be nice to get an idea beforehand if anyone happens to know.

Thanks!

power washer :cool:

I did a GC last year with a similar solid cover. I used these extra long needle nose pliers to get the stuff out. It was mainly sparrow nests that were wreaking havoc all over the place. Went back again for the window cleaning later this year and saw that those those little suckers just moved right back in.

Steve

I have cleaned out eery type of gutter w/ cover except those full piece ones. But I think the best thing would be to try and hose it down the downspout with a jet type hose nozzle. Maybe you can fit a crevice tool on a shop vac in there…

As it turns out, they have 2 small bolts on each 3ft section. They come off easy, and reinstall just [I]about[/I] as easily.

On another note, they really do work well though; this particular customer’s gutters weren’t clogged, he just thought they were because the corners where the roof forms a run lets water come down so fast it goes right over the guard rather than inside of it.

And that is the downside of the gutter helmet style covers. Anything more than a light drizzle, and the water just shoots right off the top of them. We tell all of our customers that there is NO good gutter protection, except for perhaps downspout strainers. We install those of course…

And strainers, of course, require regular maintenance because they get clogged so easily.

That’s what I call job security…

+1

Those bulb strainers are a joke. They catch everything even the little shingle particles. The only advantage I can see is that it keeps the debris from going into an underground tube if its set up that way.

The water is pouring out from the gutter guard , as I thougt it would over time…I’m going to remove the top panel over the downspout and clean it out.

The water is pouring out from the gutter guard , as I thougt it would over time…I’m going to remove the top panel over the downspout and clean it out.