HELP! Pricing Hard Water Stain Removal

How much do I charge? It’s a Carwash. I got the stains off. I did half a window. Don’t want to kill them… 40 pieces of glass total. Some I will need to be on a ladder. Please! Somebody help me!

1 Like

It took about 30/mins or so. If I had let it sit longer I probably could’ve got it done within one sitting, but I had to apply it twice. What you think?

What product did you use? Are you going to seal it as well? Looking to add this on soon.

1 Like

You could probably do that way quicker. What product did you use?

https://shopwindowcleaner.com/soaps-chemicals/stain-removal.html

1 Like

I used Bar Keepers Friend. I probably could do the entire window in 15/20min tops. Possibly 2 at a time. I let it sit on the glass for 7-8 mins or so. Then it comes right off!

1 Like

Well done! I am considering adding hard water stain removal to my services.

1 Like

It depends really. Some are pastes that you can buff on. Others are more liquidity and can be misted on the glass with a very small spray bottle.

1 Like

Could you or any of you familiar with biding call me? 901-315-0123 PLEASE! Thanks!

When it comes to H.W.S.R. there are so many variables you need to research and learn what your doing.

Pricing, dont leave money on the table. Its not easy work by any means.

There is tons of liability when it comes to H.W.S.R and glass restoration.

2 Likes

This is so true. A customer today wanted HWSR for regular window pricing. I offered a nominal fee to clean the worst areas ($20) he wasn’t interested. He wanted 25 panes on 10 windows with lime, calcium, and magnesium from the sprinkler all cleaned up for $100. Yea, not gonna happen. I directed him to Google Search.

3 Likes

As far as pricing restoration, when i was using acids/abrasives i had researched here that a norm was from $10-20 per pane so that was what I used at the time. Later a few references i had read, said that for glass polishing its from 10-50% total cost of the new glass plus installation. That the guide I used to eventually arrive at $5-$10 per sq ft depending on the extent of the damage. I now only use MHW kit and usually test with a nylon pad to find the right range…Commercially I have found only select clients will want to pay that but for residential I have many maintenance clients who had a complete restoration of ext glass anywhere from $1k-2.5k with an annual sealant service.

This post made me wonder how many here apply a sealant after removing the HW? Especially in a car wash where glass gets repeated coverage, applying an acid will open up the pores to accept more deposits even faster. I always include a sealer in the price for hard water removal for a thorough job imo. Like restoring headlights and not applying a wax after & keeping that wax applied at needed intervals. They will look great for a few months and then go right back to how they were or worse. I just learned from a friend who is owns a tinting business that he uses a film with a 10 year warranty instead of wax. Thats the pic below when we polished then applied the film. My point is after removing corrosion, thinking of the next step is beneficial, which is protection &/or prevention.

What are you using again to remove the deposits? Any residual stains left after removing a layer of deposits? How new is this glass? It could be just me, or the angle from your camera, but that glass still looks a bit hazy like some light stains are still there…hope any of that info helps out.

4 Likes

Good point about sealing. That’s why I asked the op. Do you suggest any type of waiver before doing HWSR? If you do have one; care to share it?

1 Like

Minimum double sometimes triple your usual fee.
Plus cost of chemicals which are usually hi end. Done all types of stains in 30 years its rarely easy using everything from oven cleaner to hdroflouric acid. We find 1 restore and cc 550 arecthe best in least scrubbing involved but are also most caustic to humans,frames,plants and can etch glass if used in direct sunlight. Use 2,buckets 1 for chemicals and 1 to rinse…use large white scrub pads with velcro handle,wand cover with scrub pad or plastic bristles to apply.

1 Like