Help with window access

I have to do a quote for this. Without wfp, how would one do the upper windows? Is my best option to rent a boom/bucket truck and include that in the estimate?

I imagine your concern is the windows above the roof?

You need to decide what type of business you want to operate.

To actually clean this safely, yes rent a lift. Yes, it could be done on the roof, good idea? No

Problem is its 6 windows that a $600 or more lift is needed for due to landscape. The entire job without those 6 windows won’t cost near that to clean.

Someone will surely ladder/pole/wfp from that roof so that is your competition.

Good time to possibly Invest in wfp equipment?

Educate the contact why it is a violation and simply unsafe to perform from roof to hopefully make an even playing field and allow customer to see you as a educated, safe business owner.

How often is it requested to be cleaned? Reoccurring would be helpful for investing in wfp but if so get a contract.

4 Likes

I would price this for $650 outside stating why you wont walk the roof, invest in a simple 30’-40’ wfp, cheap di like Tucker pro rinse. All for about $600 ish. Gets you a simple system for future jobs, only takes 1 hour of work.

If you dont get it, it’s small, no big deal.

1 Like

I’ve done jobs like this by poling trad from a step ladder… its not ideal but it works.

are you saying put a step ladder on roof and pole???

If so, at that point just use a ladder and skip the pole, when you don’t post here any longer we will know why.

Metal roofs and water don’t mix well

I’m doing inside and outside, they actually just want the windows up to the roofline done. I’m subbing for a janitorial company. I am starting the quote at $850 plus $500 for hard water stains on the front windows. Sounds like they only want one time. I will also be giving an estimate of 1/4 off the $850 for quarterly, I’m hoping they go for that. But the janitorial company will only work with me, so I definitely have the job, if I have to lower the price a little because the bean thinks it’s too high, I will. If I were to do the ones above the roof, I would have rented the lift due to the metal roof, but I don’t think they would pay extra for the lift, so I kind of lucked out I guess. The owner of the janitorial company said they paid him $600 just to power wash the front sidewalk, took him 3 hours to do.

nah man never said that… Lean the step ladder against the building and pole from there or something to that effect. Easy peasy.

2 Likes

this is just me but I would do it from the roof. then again not everyone started roofing at the young age of 14. lol

2 Likes

1 Like

How many windows are there?

Be careful not to overcharge just because you think it is locked in already. It is always what it seems.

1 Like

Actually now that I look at it closer. That roof isn’t very steep. It also has one of those snow guards. It’s not a very difficult roof to move on.

1 Like

The janitorial company is actually putting me on his WC for some reason, and they are only insured up to 8 feet, so I can only pole from wherever I can reach at ground level or use step ladder. I will be using a ladder on the higher windows anyway, not the ones above that lower roof. I will reconsider the price as well. The hard water removal I am leaving as is though.

I’d operate as a sub on that. Are you insured?

1 Like

Bath mat and a extension ladder. If this is considered dangerous I’m lucky to be alive.

If it makes you feel more comfortable get someone to hold the ladder for you.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t have an issue with going up there and doing it, the point is, it would be against OSHA regulations.

Are you going to operate your company within the laws?

I have put a lot of time and effort into building my business and its reputation. To jeopardize safety or that reputation would be irresponsible.

What about employees, you going to put them at risk?

1 Like

Okay now we got that settled. Lol

1 Like

I could be wrong , but that roof looks perfectly walkable, so does the awning . What’s the problem ?

3 Likes

He won’t be OSHA compliant for the 15 min he’ll be up there.

1 Like

It’s all good, everybody’s going to run their business differently than others.

I just can’t justify recommending to the new guy who doesn’t know better to do something the wrong way.

2 Likes

:+1: Very well put Jeff!

1 Like