Here’s one...who gave up a white collar job to clean windows? It takes humility

I worked out of town for more than 11 years full time in Public Administration and part time fishing and National Guard (including > 18 months active duty for the desert). After my wife developed medical issues I came back to the small hometown to help her.

I was offered a good Public Administration job out of town ($58K) at the same time I was offered a local job by a good guy who owned a cleaning company which I accepted. Although he had no enthusiasm for WC I learned (and am still learning) and bought the company after 2 years. I branched out into WC and carpet cleaning and have enjoyed the freedom the last 2 years.

6 Likes

Gave up a job as an underwriter for an insurance company. I didnt like it at all, though I was making 43k a year if you count benefits, and that when I was 25 years old. Most people would kill for that job, but I was kind of hoping someone would kill me when I was in it. Im glad I had it for the experience and the funds that it gave me to start this business, but i dont know that i would ever want to work for someone again. So happy to work for myself.

4 Likes