Hey guys, I've got my new website up and running now

That’s ridiculous but if I did have grit in the chamois, yeah I would re-fold it and find another spot to use. I don’t scratch glass and blame it on glass itself I also wouldn’t chamois the entire window as a normal part of the cleaning process.

To each his own.

I like the website a lot. I did notice a couple of things:

1. Some of the photos took forever to load. I got bored and moved on. Most people will be even more A.D.D than I am because I’m really interested in other window cleaners websites.

2. What is a [U]double[/U] guarantee? From what I see the cleaning is free if they’re not satisfied. When I see [U]double[/U] I think that not only is the cleaning free but you give them whatever the cost of the cleaning was. Maybe I’m the only one, the double thing confused me.

I like the layout a lot, the message is solid, and I really like the 7 step process. Dan Kennedy says that’s one way to build value is by outlining your process. I’m in the process of doing the exact same thing. It should be live in a few days (I hope).

Thanks JWebb! The “Double Guarantee” is both the 100% Satisfaction and the "7-dayRain’ Guarantee. if you click on the page and read all the way down it’s there;)

As for the pictures loading slow…humm. It might be because they are high-quility pics with a lot of info in them or just the web connection your on. It’s good to know though. I had not considered this before. Thanks for the heads up!

By the way, your post made me smile because when I was a truck driver, i was stuck on a layover out in some little town in Kansas, I think it was…anyways, I was perusing the local “Mom and Pop” shop up the road and came across a picture of the local garbage truck (i think it was local…i can’t recall) but the garbage truck had a Guarantee on the side of it- it said “Satisfaction Guaranteed! or we’ll double your trash back to you” lol i never forgot that.

If your going to Guarantee something you gotta mean it- and I do.

And while I’m on the subject, I recall great words of wisdom from the movie Tommy Boy- I never forgot this either.

“Tommy: Let’s think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson: Go on, I’m listening.
Tommy: Here’s the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn’t it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson: [impatiently] What’s your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn’t a crazy glue sniffer? “Building model airplanes” says the little fairy; well, we’re not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that’s all it takes. The next thing you know, there’s money missing off the dresser, and your daughter’s knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That’s all it is, isn’t it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer’s sake, for your daughter’s sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson: [pause] Okay, I’ll buy from you.”

My connection is pretty good, I think your picks are pretty high res. I have to admit I didn’t read all the guarantee page. Like I said I’m a little A.D.D. :slight_smile: I like the guarantee on the garbage truck though, that was good!

Hey are you on a PC or Mac? Just curious. I’m on a mac and I design on a mac, so I really have no idea how this all looks on a PC. I know that doesn’t address the download speed- but i’m just curious. One of my first websites (this is version 3) looked fine when I built it- then i looked at it on a friends PC and it looked like crud…to put it nicely.

I know on my Iphone 4 it takes a little longer to load (on 3g) at first and the pics are jumbled for a second before it all straightens out. Also, for some reason on an iPhone (I’m guessing all phones) the text inside the main menu bar tends to drop down out of the box. No biggy but it still bugs me.

Holly smokes Dan you’re a machine! I fixed all those mistakes (and found one you didn’t;) ) but that last one really threw me for a loop. I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I ran it through the search feature on my site and it turned up in WCR’s link of all places!..man your good!!

Are you Borg? …just kidding, thanks Dan!

Some of your pics are 70 kb others are 700+ kbs. Photoshop can fix that up fast.

What program are you using? I know in dreamweaver you can check out your web page on different browsers including mobile. I know very little about Apple except they are only 5% of the market place, if that.

Edit: that Dan is smart, I didn’t see any of that:D

I’m using Illustrator and Photoshop. I have Dreamweaver and I have never even opened it. I have no clue what it even does? What does it do? -lol

It builds freakn’ websites, LOL.

You’ll thank me for this…This is total training videos ONLINE. If you go monthly (like me) it’s $25 a month but you get access to all versions of Creative Suite (I think). I just started this and it’s pretty much teaching me LOTS… it even has Office and Quickbooks included.

Online Training, Online Tutorials, Video Training Online: Total Training Online

edit: I had to install quicktime (free version) to see the videos. Then you can download the project files. I watch the training vids on one monitor and do the exercises on another. Best way to learn imo.

it looks great ! friendly

Thanks! Thats part of what I’m aiming for. Friendly, informative and professional.

Yeah, I agree about the pics, this is a long thread and I was looking to see if anyone commented on it already.
Load time, google also looks at. Even though they are high res pics, you can still change the format and make them smaller. If you put those pics in photoshop you can save them as a jpeg with a 5 or 6 quality and still look good. If you click my sig, you can see a high res on my home page and it loads pretty fast.

I think the site looks great. I like how you got Kevins broken hip flyer photo in there. Pretty slick. Your prices are great I think. Your minimums are higher than mine but that photo makes it seem like its a great price, I like how you did that.

I’m on a PC and it looks good. It’s formatted well. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. Of course, I’ve only looked at it in firefox. I haven’t looked in IE (6, 7, 8), opera, chrome, or safari (of course I think you got that last one covered :slight_smile: ).

the opaque thing in lower left is distracting. I like the idea of the pricing based on home size. zIt might help to put a sq footage and an average window count for each price. and extreem window disclaimer. We do size priceing also based on squarte footage. base price on 1 story and square footage. extreem windows not included. ound skylights without an extra fee for poping ladders off and seting them up and roof work and so on. or if their house is made up of all glass but falls into a square footage range. I have also found the extreem windows disclaimer gets them asking questions because they dont want to get caught up in a potential bait and switch pricing. Not that you would do that. But this gets them asking questions.

As a customer I might want to know if you, as the owner, are the one who will clean my windows. You have a quote saying that you were “retained” to clean someone’s windows. But one of your slogans is “We’re big enough to get the job done, and small enough to care it’s done right.” Great slogan. However it sounds like you might have employees. This seems confusing to me and I, as a customer, might be picky about who I allow into my home. Maybe I missed something?

Anyway, I really like your website. You educate the customer in your 7 step process. Educating a customer is one of the easiest ways to give perceived value.

Great job!

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the feedback:)

The opaque window is a preview of the contents of that page. The whole thing is a slider that I can adjust the speed of. There are three pages that slide. If you hover your mouse over the picture it will stop sliding and you can read that opaque preview- then you can click the “read more” button to view the whole page. Or you can look to the right of the picture and see a small pop-out window that shows thumbnails of all three pages in the slider. Or you can use the small arrows < > on the sides of the slider to manually manipulate which slider preview you want to look at. also you can just go right to the top menu bar and click the page you want to look as well- the traditional way.

As for pricing- you may notice that it says “from” for each price. These are base prices that I will try VERY hard to stick to. Of course if I get to a “medium” home and it fits all the standard “medium” home specs such as around 2500 sq feet, nothing too weird or no extreme foliage/obstacles or something along those lines- then we’re good to go. If they want skylights done than that is an extra charge (i am considering putting something in the website about skylights). If they want hard water removal, that is also an extra charge, if they want their screens re-screened I’ll charge extra for that as well. What my pricing guide reflects is the standard rate for my premium window cleaning which includes the screens being cleaned, and the frame, track and sills being cleaned as well. Extra services are always an option hence the “From” price. It’s not meant to be misleading or sneaky to a customer. I fully honor those prices. However, if someone who has an 8,000 sq. ft house with a bunch of French panes calls and thinks that they can get the inside and outsides done for $400- they are mistaken…hence the “from” pricing. But your right, maybe I should include some type of “extreme” window disclaimer. Or at least provide some additional info. I in noway want to mislead or confuse a customer and DEFINITELY do not want anyone to think I’m doing some kind of bait and switch job, That would be the worst thing to me.

Thanks Doc, brought up some good things for me to think about!

Hey Nathan,

You brought up a great point. Please allow me to clarify. The quote is just that- a quote. I do not write them the client does and I will under no circumstances modify what they write. The person who wrote that particular quote was a former CFO of a major very well known company and so I guess when your that kind of guy you “retain” services :slight_smile: I know it sounds a little weird but thats all that is.

As for the slogan, you have to realize that this company is a family company, with myself and my wife, so there is the “We” part. As far as the actual window cleaning and onsite at a customer location- thats all me. I am the only one doing the work.

You bring up great points though- I’ll work on ways to clarify them!

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep it coming- that’s what will make my site better!

Cool- thanks JWebb!. and yeah I got Safari covered;)

Thanks Tory!

I’m going to look into trying to change the file size on the pics to help with load time. If it weren’t for you guys pointing these things out for me I would never had known about them- so thanks!:wink: