HIgh Rise cleaning tool tip request

Howdy folks,

I have cleaned residential windows for 8+ years, and this summer have just started a high rise gig. I am pretty comfortable in bosun’s chair, and off to a strong start, but am running into a few challenges I am sure there are known solutions for.

Just did my first descents on a 100m building today, and am finding squeegeeing off the sills accelerating the wear-out on my rubber, meaning I have to do a mid-drop rubber change-out (which seems undesirable, lots of fidgeting when I ought to be cleaning), or I am going very slowly by the end contending with worn rubber. Are folks carrying a dedicated sill squeegee in the chair with them? Any tips for sills and frames?

More generally, have high rise cleaners got anything surprising in their descent kits? I have a 20" squeegee, brush, and suction cup, and that is about it (of course I have a chair and fall arrest gear too).

Any unsolicited advice on how to streamline high rise window cleaning is also welcome!

Cheers,
Darren

@JfromtheD ^^

Yeah, squeegeeing off panes will cut up a rubber quick.

Do you have a sponge?

When I did a lot of chairwork, I’d squeeze it into my front Dring.
Rather than reaching down to the bucket.

1 Like

I don’t have a sponge! Never thought about using one for sills. Just squeeze it dry and wipe?

Pretty much.

Your issue is drips…right?

You want to be able to drop to the next set,
and we both know that once you drop down,
it’s tough to get that upper sill drip to go away.

Personally, I could get away with leaving water on the sills.
Because, in my time, it would have dried or dripped all it was going to,
by the time I got underneath it.

• but you can’t (OSHA approved) do horizontal work these days.

Everything is straight vertical now…
which is why I bailed on commercial for the most part.

If OSHA had their way…
You’d be tethered to a rope.
Attached to a $5000 investment anchor setup, from the property owners.

To “properly” use(without fines) a 2 ft step ladder,
for a first floor window… :unamused:

2 Likes

I can’t quite picture how horizontal high rise work would be done. Robotic locomoting anchor points?

1 Like

Use a roller and a pusher. I know some companies still do horizontal work. I did it last year once. But you run the risk of getting fined by osha

1 Like

It’s going on 2 summers, I think, for me.

It just became a fight I couldn’t see winning anymore.
Shame. It’s basically how I spent the first 20 years of my career.

Still feels weird to say “I’m no longer doing that.”