Hiring VS Subcontracting

To the more experienced business owners. If you have tried both hiring and subcontracting, which do you prefer? Which did you end up using? Which is more profitable? We have been flirting with both methods right now.

thoughts?

We’re just to the north of you in Aurora. We did sub last, but our good sub moved to Oregon. This year we hired. Our first part time employee doesn’t have experience and may not last past next week. We have another two that start Monday. They’re a married couple that have 6 years experience and they’re going to be great. I have a truck for them to operate out of.

Subbing out was super easy. Just make sure they have their own insurance and tools (of course they need to do a good job, be responsible ,and representable) Hiring employees is a lot of work. I hope your prices are up there cause employees cost a lot of money. Workmans comp, payroll, extra tools, etc. In the end run we know it’s going to be better in the long run.

If you have just a little extra work I would go with a sub. If you’re planning on having more work that you can handle and plan to keep it that way go with employees. I’m banking on with the right employees it can be more profitable.

1 Like