Hot Hot Hot

Man is it hot out there this week…

Our monthly safety meeting this week was about working in the heat… I attached our safety meeting notes here if anyone wants them…

be safe out there!Heat safety meeting.pdf (1.33 MB)

Good share - thanks!

good info,

also, learn the sun on hot days.

save the shade and try and beat the sun as it comes around during the day.

get those southern facing skylights done first thing!!

stay hydrated out there…

~Jimmy~

Working in florida here is one of my tips: you need to drink plenty of Gatorade or water before starting. In the extreme heat you can’t wait until you are sweating. It’s like a car , you have to have plenty of liquid in your system before you overheat

what maybe could have been written on there is , start as early as possible in the morning when the temperature is at its coolest.

The key to working in the sun (Summertime) stay hydrated its on going process not just the day your working in the direct sun at 95 degrees. I worked 15+ years out doors on blacktop pavement 95 turns to 120 by noon thats the heat coming off the pavement.
Wear great sunglasses and protect your skin at all cost. Use the shade and suns position to your advantage.:cool:

Thats a great idea Barry, Im going to have to try that.

Sounds good!

I have started freezing 1 gallon water jugs. I fill them 3/4 full and toss 3 of them in the freezer at night. Come morning, I take 'em out and fill them the rest of the way with water. I take two of them and just throw them in the work vehicle and the other I put in my cooler with my lunch. I drink 1 of them on the way to the job, 1 of them for the 1st half of the work before lunch. At lunch I pull the last jug out of the cooler and let it defrost for the second half of the day.

I find I stay hydrated better with the big containers of water because it is more convenient to fill and keep track of them. I used to have 6-7 small bottles everywhere.

Me personally, I find that gatorade is best diluted to a 1:3 ratio (1 part gatorade to 3 parts water) I think straight gatorade may be too sugary and end up making a lot of people nauseous. You could also just throw a banana in your lunch - the potassium is good for electrolyte balance.

I think my lunch also helps. I make up potato salad mixed with egg salad with plenty of non-sugary relish. The relish is chock full of electrolytes, the potatoes are easily digestible starches, and the eggs give you protein.

Plain water doesn’t do it for me. I need the electrolytes in the Gatorade to keep me going.

Just so you know, the sugary drinks, such as Gatorade, raise your body temperature. It is better used sparingly, or after a long day. Water is best.

John K Wyatt
All Washed Up Window Cleaning
awuwindowcleaning.com

[MENTION=5633]AllWashedUp[/MENTION]

Thanks john… Didn’t know they raised body temp…

I would suggest some of ya all. Look @ hammer nutrition. Most all the tri-athletes use this stuff…

If your wanting Electrolyte’s Buy the tab form. With-out the junk of Gatorade etc… If your past and are cramping break open a tab and pour it in your mouth… Taste suck’s but your cramp will be gone in a couple minutes.

Endurolytes - Electrolyte Replacement Supplement | Hammer Nutrition

@ the end of a hot day. Like today 110 with 12 degree heat index . This stuff will get you back up to snuff… It works really well.
Recoverite - Glutamine Fortified Recovery Drink | Hammer Nutrition

Hammer gel… Hammer Gel - Carbohydrate Energy Gel | Hammer Nutrition

This stuff is amazing as well. Tried it back in 08. During the summer one day. Could feel effects of the boost pretty quick in my body.

I swear by using hammer products during the summer.

Perpetuem
Perpetuem - Endurance Fuel for Long Distances | Hammer Nutrition

Have some but don’t seem to use it as much. Still have lot’s of last summers order in cupboard. Just to lazy to mix it when i am working.

Been in Oklahoma to long. Staring to use ya all :frowning:

Nuff said John

Where are you located in Oklahoma? I’m in Tulsa.

John K Wyatt
awuwindowcleaning.com

Tulsa / B.A. line

What’s your company name? How long have you been in business?

Not too many other Tulsa guys on here.

John K Wyatt
awuwindowcleaning.com

Eagle’s view window cleaning… page two on Google. Not all finished yet though. still a work in progress. Window’s were a secondary job underneath lawn care co … spring and fall before and after lawns.

separated it out @ end of last the year. Dropping lawn-care end of the season. Doing both still. Though not as many windows lately. After my $800 job in claremore a couple weeks ago. Bidding one tonight ,plus follow up on jenks who pushed for later in the year. A $400 job set for next week in south tulsa.

Cheers john

I live in Claremore. You’re stepping in my town.

John K Wyatt
awuwindowcleaning.com

Great stuff! Thanks for the info and links. I was looking for something to use instead of Gatorade, as it has a lot of junk in it that is not good for your body. I’ll be looking at their products for sure.

All kidding aside, how did the Claremore client find you? Residential/commercial?
Most Claremore calls come through me first if looking online. Makes me think I better step up my game :slight_smile:

John K Wyatt
awuwindowcleaning.com

When it is hot out I step on the scale in the AM before work and when I get home in the PM so I know how much I need to add back to the old system. Some days it is over a gallon which is pretty amazing since I probably drank a gallon throughout the day so 16 pounds of water weight sweated. Before I did that I would guess and usually wake up very dehydrated the next day.