How do you do residential work in the snow?

I’m just trying to figure this out. My next job just got 16" of snow today after 72" over the last 2 weeks (up at 9000 ft). I’m trying to figure out good ways to make them work. I figure I would just fall into a pile of snow if I take another roof fall. It’s metal roofing, so I figure it’s better than walking it wet.

I had those orange levelers my first year too and they ended up in my trashcan very quickly into the snowy season. Leveloks have the traditional ladder shoes on the bottom of each leveler, so all you have to do is point the shoes down and they will never slide out in you. Works great the rest of the year too on wet grass and loose rock.

I was doing the same as you last February. I think I’ll take the winter off for the most part.
You could invest in WFP an do the windows with hot water. I’ve got an Eccotemp L5 propane water heater. One of the Canadian guys says he’s used it down to 10°.

Methanol will also evaporate faster from hot water so keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Word. The orange-foot has been awesome in dry conditions in all kinds of terrain. I’ve seen the the leveloks. I wish they sold them in proper sets.

Maybe I’ll put file-sharpened xtendaleg spiked feet for my 24, and the orange rubber feet for the stack set I’m about to buy. I hope I like stacks. Some of these modern homes seem anachronistically made for the pointed WC stack set.

They do: Levelok Ladder Leveler | Ladder Safety | Ladder Accessories

^Those are exactly what I have on my sectional
[URL=“Shopwindowcleaner.com”]

Levelok Ladder Leveler | Ladder Safety | Ladder Accessories

I think by “proper set” you are talking about the above link. I’ve never bought the quick connect kind. Mine are on all legs all the time.

Can you flip your extendalegs upside down and drive the pipe into the ground? Still might be sketchy tho.

What kind of levelers do you have on your ladder? Mine have the rubber feet on the bottom, but for outdoors I can tilt the feet. Set them with the spikes into the ground; climb up a couple of rungs and jump on it with all my weight. That helps to make sure your firmly set and level.

When it’s windy I tie my ladder off to something like spikes in the gutters, or like today I tied off to the deck railing(no steps to second story balcony). The last thing you want is to be on a roof and the wind topples over your ladder.

If there’s windows with only access is by a snow covered roof. I let the client know that due to safety concerns I will not be able to clean the exterior of the window. I have yet had a client object to that.

This time of year you got to be creative with snow or everyone wanting to get a cleaning due to friends and family coming to visit. I often tell them I will clean what I can safely get to or offer just to clean what the guest will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Like this… Have also seen some that are just a cleat or a claw, seem like outdoor only.

Residential is getting kind of serious!

I just set steeper with the ladders and tread lightly on snowy roofs, though I keep slipping. I’ve been trying to do the roof windows from the inside, but the roof access windows you see in the pic were behind an office with computer, etc. I almost wish the snow were deeper so my boots would punch in and not slip. Anyone use crampons for these? I’m worried about shingle damage. Maybe not a problem on wood shake.

In know its Feb. now but its still winter in most parts of the US. I’ve been cleaning windows in a ski town in Co. for the past 22 years our elevation is around 7000 and the coldest I’ve worked was 1 degree. If your serious about continueing winter cleaning I would be happy to pass along my experience. from what I read on this website theres alot of good info but some obvious things that I think weren’t mentioned. My # 970-846-9470 Also I moved here from Hawaii were I did high rise work for 10 year. so if I can adapt to snow country, well?

So what are the [quote=“windowman4u2day, post:31, topic:34874”]
obvious things that I think weren’t mentioned
[/quote]

3 Likes

Beards

2 Likes

No worries man! Been getting up in the 60’s this month, so the blue is just sitting in the bed of my truck waiting to get stolen from some homeless guy.

to get on a slippery roof especially in winter i bought a roof hook for my ladder. Mine is from Qualcraft. Basically a hook with a wheel that attaches to you ladder. You slide it up along the roof on the wheel. Once past the peak flip it over and the hook grabs the ridge and secures the ladder. You can then walk up the roof safely. Works awesome! I use it all the time as i live in Canada and do Christmas lights in the winter. Used it a lot less this winter though since i bought a towable lift.:slight_smile:

first make sure you have the adjustable legs with the orange feet the act as suction cups on icey surfaces. also in deep snow or where the snow has slid of the roof and created those long piles you can use a 4ft. section of TGF board (there use as supports under floors. this will create a reliable base for your ladders. Also once the temp. get down to that freezing point I use straight windshield washer fluid, none of that mixing. I’ve put the black friction tape on every rung of my ladders “better safe nath sorry”. as for hand protection, I use natural rubber gloves I order from Recenstein #56-223 XL and then wear fleece gloves inside of differnt thicknesses depending on the temp. so the rubber gloves are shells. and if it gets really cold; in the teen or single digits there those hand warmers they use for skiing. I put them between the fleece and rubber glove. finally if you can work in the sun and follow it as much as possible it sure makes it alot more comfy. I do use neoprene gloves but found they arent effective below 30 degrees. feel free to just call with any Qs(970-846-9470) Stay safe, David.

Thanks for the tips… But those tips all have been gone over at least a few times! :wink:

I heard the orange feet come off pretty easily, beside that I would never trust a ladder on ice!

good idea, just a little unwieldy walking thru 4ft snow drifts…lol!

A lot of guys use that basic setup for warmth, dont forget they (warmers) can be used in your boots too.
(they seem to work best against the bottom side of your wrist, seems to keep the blood flow warm to the finger tips)

This has been done to death. But if you do use it that way make sure your skins protected.

But David thanks for sharing.

Be safe out there! :slight_smile:

If it is to cold or snowy go home.