How do you pitch CCU to a builder?

While canvassing an expensive community I noticed many homes are still being built. I took down the builder’s number and would like to call to offer CCU for their windows. Wondering if you guys had any tips on what to say.

Or is it just as simple as:
“Hi, I’m Daniel from Wyoming Valley Window Washing. I noticed you are building several homes in the Saddle Ridge community and would like to offer you window cleaning service. Could I please speak with someone about providing a bid?”

Hello? Anyone hear him? Is this thing on? Listening too.

First, how much ccu experience do you have? If you’ve done a few of them, you’re good.

Second, do you have care, custody, and control insurance? If you don’t know what that is, better find out.

Third, do you have a solidly written scratch waiver? Always, always, get this sign even if you’re working for a “friend.”

If yes, yes, and yes, then go for it. The builder usually uses a janitorial company and that might be your point of contact. Residential ccu is a bigger pain than commercial ccu so bid accordingly. Don’t hesitate to 5x your normal cleaning number and then add some pad on top of that because ccu will kick your butt.

An easier route might be to write down the addresses of these new houses and send a “welcome to the neighborhood” package: brochure, pen, estimate for window cleaning with a “special” discount/offer for the new homeowners.

That way you let the builder scratch the windows and you can go in like a hero after the fact.

7 Likes

Great response Jared!

I used to say “Sign this scratch waiver first” Followed closely by “This kind of service usually runs at 8 to 10 times the price of a normal clean” ---- and even at those prices I never actually felt happy when I won a bid,… this kind of work is more stress & hassle than its worth IMO.

1 Like

Yes! 3x isn’t enough even if the windows don’t look bad, 5x is getting closer but only experience will tell you where your happiness is going to be. I hate ccu’s but there can be good money in them if the builder trusts you. But a lot of builders just want a lowball quote and they’ll end up with scratched windows, overspray left on the windows, jacked up sills, etc.

For me, it’s not just the overspray and joint compound, it’s the overspray and joint compount and sills and what the heck was that drywaller thinking leaving that on there and the window grease and the what the hell is that??? and the guy grinding metal outside my window and the monkeys smearing junk on those windows I just did and dude watch my bucket and no I wanted to relax this weekend…

2 Likes

Omg… Was worried my question was stupid and that I was overthinking something relatively easy. So glad I posted this before making that phone call. I think I’m gonna wait till I have more experience under my belt with normal residential and storefronts before tackling this beast. Thanks so much for the warning!

3 Likes

I still may give it a shot in the future, but good to know what I’m getting into before hand. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, my advice would be to cut your teeth on storefront ccu first. Find a small strip mall that’s being done or a starbucks or whatever and give them a price and then you’ll start to get an idea on what you’re in for.

Some of the residential isn’t bad like the pellas usually have protected plastic on them that you just rip off. But a homeowner will notice scratches a lot more than someone renting a storefront.

Spend the money on Dan Field’s videos and it’ll give you some insight and advice.

But the cardinal rules are always use a fresh razor and always scrape in one direction.

Oh, and if you see “Old Castle” anywhere on the glass just walk away. But it could be good money… no just walk away.

1 Like

What is “old castle”? I have done some ccu but not enough to feel like I can tackle it all. I think I have been fortunate with the ones I’ve run into. I was always able to just razor and steal wool the window and everything came off. Not sure how to restore the frames though from the concrete and stucco and things like that.

Overhand.

1 Like

If you are working for the builder make sure all the other subs are done and have hauled away all their clutter.

Another option is to tell the client that you only do CCU on a flat hourly rate. I wasn’t going to do CCU at all, then a client called and said he would pay Time & Material (T&M). Magic words!
That job turned out nicely, I did an upsell for my first exterior house washing and got a 5 star review on my FB page.

3 Likes

Nice!

Is it normal for them to expect you to get the paint off the vinyl frame? This one guy wanted me to take my fingernail and scrape it all off. It was my first CCU so I fought the urge to say “are you high?!?”

1 Like

Generally when u quote a CCU its frames and glass unless you have specified differently, most CCU I spend more time on the frames than glass

1 Like

Do a search on the forum. It’s the worst glass you’ll ever encounter. And it’ll either a) scratch like crazy when you go to razor it OR b) it’ll already have scratches on it and you’ll get blamed for it.

Yeah, that never happened for me.

Yes and tracks and frames and screens and whatever. Residential ccu sucks because the owner might white glove it and detailing everything takes forever. Commercial ccu sucks because they’ll have joint compound/duct tape/overspray all up on the sills and cement on the lower windows and detailing everything takes forever.

1 Like

… I actually cut my teeth on CCU, when I first started working for someone else.
I hated it, so much detail and the guy that was training me would sit back an
laugh at me struggling to get them clean. When I thought I was done I would call him
over to inspect and he would point out tons of stuff on every window…I don’t do much of that
work now, just straight residential. I don’t how you get 5x or more regular pricing. I can get double
and that’s about it.

I sent out a bunch of introductory emails to builders last winter offering CCU. A guy got back to me last month asking for a quote. I took the advice of many guys here and tacked on an extra 20% to an already padded price. He never got back to me, but I am proud of myself to keep the bar high.

In fact, I will never lower my CCU rate just to get ‘in’. I am finished with taking the hit for the sake of:

1. Builder’s supposed profit margin.
  2. Last trades to be on site, diminished budget.
  3. Perception of easy, light work just one rung up from a maid cleaning service
  4. (insert negative reason here)
2 Likes