How much to pay for help?

Yeah. They want 15 but are barely worth 12. IDK maybe I’m just cynical

1 Like

A lot of businesses in the area seem to be starting their employees off at a higher wage because the goal is to keep them. In and Out burger for example advertises 11$ per hour starting. The idea must be that they want less turnover and more incentive for higher quality.

You will get what you pay for. If you start at or near minimum wage, you will be in ‘knuckle head’ territory. I guarantee it. After a few times of saying I should have done it myself, you’ll be doing it yourself.

Take my advise, stay solo. Take the work you can do and schedule everyone else. Be like the exclusive restaurant that has a small number of seats and fills up quickly - and charges accordingly.

Businesses like ours do well either staying small or going big. Trying to be in the middle and staying fair and legal is difficult.

Just my opinion.

2 Likes

New guys and what they think theyre worth is a sour subject to me

1 Like

you gotta be in today’s world, everybody thinks they’re worth more than what they are.

1 Like

I can understand that.

Here’s the thing though… Everyone in my area is looking for help. Every industry, every business. It’s an employee’s market. I suspect most of the country is the same way.

At this point, in my neck of the woods, if you pay low, you are only going to get people who can’t get a job someplace else. Jobs are revolving doors here. Pay and how you treat people is priority to employees.

Other business owners in my area, feel the same as you do. I think the only solution for most of us it to either be solo most all the time, or have no tolerance policies and can people not to our vision and have revolving doors. Be small, or be big. In between just has so many problems with employees.

1 Like

I am. Er the real world. That’s why I’m scrubbin glass on a Sunday. Lol Didnt read all the replies but I will when Im done

1 Like

By contrast, every employer doesn’t think you’re worth as much as you do. We all want to make 90.00 an hour and pay as little as possible for the help. With the best quality possible. Champagne taste, beer budget.

Stay solo or take on someone as a partner. Give them something to invest in and you might come out a winner.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind giving somebody what they’re worth if they would step up to the plate and produce

know from experience you need workers/grafter who have little or no ambition but crave want job security. thats the clincher ,job security. selling the dream is important- i promise every one who has worked for me youll start off parttime and if you turn up and work hard you will be full time within months. and this is your pay £x and then theres the perks youll get free shoes ,all the tips and a free meal now and then. sound ok to you?

2 Likes

Totally agree that the employees should not have entrepreneurial ambition and minimal risk tolerance. I’m sure it would be frustrating to invest a lot of time in training the future competition. It helps that a lot of people are not enthusiastic about all the non-billable hours nor are they interested in the learning curve required to start and sustain a legitimate business.

including business owners

4 Likes

that’s true, everybody wants to charge as much as they can for work and the cycle never ends.

2 Likes

I work long hard days. I scrubb glass to no end. Lol I’m in business. Yes, I will charge as much as I can while still leaving a happy customer.

3 Likes

Preach it bro, lol. I spent eight hours getting cooked On both sides by the sun and its reflection on my clean windows. 350 maybe 400 panes of storefront. sheesh. Monsoons caught me out. Glad they are open Sunday actually.

1 Like

This thread discussing employee productivity is related to appropriate rate of pay.