How much to pay for help?

Okay…yes I did delete the original text, so let me, I guess simplify the question ( I hope lol) how do you pay a Sub ( percentage? or Hourly? or does it matter?) or if I decide to hire an employee ( and yes I do know that I would have to do employee tax, and W/C, and federal with holdings and so on…) how much is a fair wage? or could I pay them per the job ( performance base pay)?

I’m not American but typically because its an unskilled Job it would tend to be unskilled pay which is near minimum. But you could offer bonuses which makes the payment for them better. Like a percentage of any good job.

1 Like

Are you Hiring skilled labor or someone with no experience? Are you legitimately paying them and paying for W/C and everything an employer is supposed to pay for?

What are others in your area paying their people?

Asking a question like you did is like asking is it going to rain June 1st 2072.

In my area, it swings from 9 bucks an hour to a very few paying 20 bucks an hour.

1 Like

it would be unskilled labor, also they will be on 1099’s ( subs for now I am not ready to do an actual employee yet, and all I was looking for ,what was looking for Hoosier was just a basic range of pays that you others pay, and yes I do know that the area and city does determine that as well, but like I said I was just looking for basic ranges of pay. So i can have a medium number in mind.

You better make sure you know the difference between subs and employees… The state and federal does!

7 Likes

whoops.

2 Likes

This should help you with your questions.

Try putting this word in the search bar and press search.

1 Like

I have to 2nd this. More than likely he will be defined as an employee by those taxing you.

Do your current prices sustain a minimum wage?

What does it cost you per day to start your car in the morning and run your business?

If you are going to pay a % multiply that percentage by your gross annual. Would you want to live off that number? If not, why would someone else?

Are you looking for full time or part time help?

Just labor or someone to build around?

Have you started the search?

What is minimum wage in your state?

So we could tell you 13 bucks an hour but it wouldnt mean much.

2 Likes

Are u asking what is a fair wage?
Or are u asking how much should u pay your employees?

Labor can run from roughly 30 to 40% of gross revenue for the billable hours. This includes the owner’s labor as a technician but not as the business manager nor the dividends/profit.
So, if the two of you are grossing $100 per man hour (yes, I know more $OMH is more realistic but I am using easy math) then your employees’ wage could be from 10 to 20% of $100. The owners labor can easily be worth 1.5 to 2 times the employees labor due to speed, efficiency, seeking upsells, etc.

1 Like

Fair wage

:hugs::thinking::cry::grimacing:

1 Like

Idk about you guys but I wouldn’t bring unskilled laborers into my jobs as subs.

Maybe train the unskilled for future employment but unskilled in and out. No way. Not on my jobs.

Unless I guess they had someone experienced right with them the whole time

I think about like you do on the subject.

But to be honest, if I am a solo guy and I hire help because I am busy enough to need it, I want who I hire to about cut my time on the job in half. If you are training someone “green”, they are going to likely increase the time on every job.

Unskilled labor being trained is better if you have a crew(s). Not when you are solo, IMO.

Not to mention that a sub contracted laborer isn’t going to buy all their tools, buy liability insurance, and work for a few bucks an hour. Especially if they never have done this before. That is, unless they are looking for you to train your near future, competition. :smile:

Well a fair wage is going to be subjective and depends on geography and cost of living for your area… i know u know that…

i start my employees out at 12$/hr with no exp.

I think, honestly, for what we do, its more than fair especially considering the alternative is that they could bust their butts working 10 hours shifts standing in one place, cleaning toilets, smelling of grease, no sunshine, dealing wth crappy/mad customers, etc only making 8$/hr at McDs.

my accountant told me flat out before looking for help that if they have their own tools of the trade and they know what their doing, then I can 1099 them, but if I have to buy or let them use my tools and they have to be trained, then you better hire them as an employee and have workman’s comp and unemployment, because if not then you’ll be like the majority of dirt bag business owners that no one wants to work for, and the IRS don’t care about your opinion when it comes down to it. if it walks like a duck and it looks like a duck, then it’s another business owner that shouldn’t be in business.

oh by the way, lol I start my guys and gals off at 9 an hour and bump them up every time they complete a training log and then when they’re out on their own 11 to begin with and so on so forth. also give bonuses on big jobs or overtime for it.

I can’t get anyone decent for under 15

1 Like

trust me I understand. I start them out at 9 or 10 based on ability and understanding, evertime they learn how to do something they get a raise, it’s incentive and there’s no time line for it. so basically if they’re a fast learner and put out good work in good time then usually in 6 months they can make 13 to 15.

I don’t think anyone I would have to train should ever get 15. that’s crazy for somone to think they deserve that to start out.