How to clean ths?

Hey, just went out to do a quote for cleaning these four sun screen panels. They are a kind of plastic-y material that is stained with some mold.
Do you have any idea if they will clean up, and with what? Maybe screen magic? Never used it before, but am loathing to scrub with detergent and have it not come any cleaner…

Thanks in advance!

I would check the seams to see if there was a very tiny piece that I could clip off and test it in a very mild solution of bleach. My guess would be that its 100% safe. My mix would probably be close to 10 ounces bleach to a gallon of water

Man, I’ve been doing 4 story pole work, behind trees/looking [B]straight[/B] upward all day.
That killed my fragile neck…

Next time please “rotate” your images."
(and yes, I realize it was MY FAULT for craning my neck- instinct took over.) :o

Do it on your laptop with photo editor.

Give speedy screen a try. Since they are just hanging loose I would just spray the s/$t out of them with speedy screen really soak it. Then try rubbing it up with a dry strip washer.
those look like the Home Depot roller shades and I know the material is cheap. Out here in AZ they burn out in a couple seasons and the material can be ripped easily. Also the tan color tends to burn changing the color and that can’t be fixed or cleaned.

Okay cool, I will look into speedy screen and otherwise test with bleach. They are a few years old, so maybe tell the customer it might not turn out. I’m thinking $25/panel? They are doing the windows at the same Time.

Also, sorry J, how to rotate the pics buddy?

If you press ctrl alt and an arrow button it’ll rotate the screen for you

Sent from my SM-G860P using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

WHAAAAAHH!!! :smiley:

OP, i think [MENTION=5152]wws[/MENTION] is on point. bleach is the way to go. but i think you’ll need to go hotter than 10 oz to a gallon. my personal opinion, and i may be wrong. but i always err on the side of overkill. if the substrate can handle a hotter mix, why not increase your odds that the first application will do the trick?

i would go 50/50 household bleach to water plus 5 oz of laundry detergent, pump spray it on. let it sit 10 minutes but dont let it dry, and then rinse off thoroughly with a garden hose. but do this first (VERY IMPORTANT)- color test a very small portion of it first- dab a little on with a paint brush somewhere unobtrusive and make sure the color doesn’t change or fade. you’ll probably be good to go and that mix will kill the mold quick.

The dilution ratio I gave was based on the effectiveness of housewash mix while pressurewashing. If it makes you feel any better about using bleach, at the last company I worked for I cleaned carpet, upholstery and window treatments for 12 years. Bleach would probably be my go to. You could also try sodium percarbonate or 30 weight peroxide

You can pick up the peroxide at sallys beauty shops Salon Care 30 Volume Clear Developer

Generally speaking SH (bleach) will only discolor/bleach organic fibers but leaves man made fibers unharmed, tis why my uniform is polyester.
Once it penetrates the stitching/weave it wont come out with a house wash mix you will need a roof strength mix.
Surfaces which lay horizontal tend to be much harder to clean than surfaces that are vertical, gravity and all.

Yeah…“I know, I know.”:o

I really HAVE been pussified and bitchy for some reason the last couple days.

But hey, First Step: Admit You Have A Problem, right?

Close, not all man made fibers are bleach resistant. The ones that are would be solution dyed fibers like polypropelene, olefin, polyester, and some times nylon can be as well. Solution dyed means that when the fiber is made the dye is mixed in with it so it goes all the way through the fiber. Just like a colored piece of plastic. A lot of man made and all natural fibers are made and then color is added to the fiber afterwards. The dye soaks into the amorphic regions of the fiber and color it that way. Fibers that are dyed in this manner are still able to be bleached out.

That shade can be cleaned with house wash. I would bet a good chunk of change on it.

Sounds like we got a few scientists around here…

Gathering from input here, probably the best thing would be to try the heavier ratio first on a small piece, and if it doesn’t burn or discolour it is all good.

So… Is soft brushing it on and then rinsing after 10 min a good first shot? And if it is still on there try agitating with a harder brush?

In terms of pricing is 25/panel sounding close? Looks like around 15/20min a panel if it needs scrubbing

Nooo… never go big first.

Lol. Seems like you’re glazing over my posts.

Wait a minute… Wait a minute…

Hey wws, definitely not skipping your posts. I thought you guys said the same thing, and going back youre saying start mild. I don’t really have any experience with bleach so maybe it looked the same…

No problem. I’ve got plenty of experience and just didn’t want to see you buy them new shades. Lol