How would you remove the hard water?

I got asked today if I could clean this up and remove the hard water. I tried a sample area with a scrub pad and spot-x hard water remover it worked good but that’s a big wall. What would you recommend? A buffer?

I don’t know how either but I’m curious if the logo and text are etched or some type of graphic. If it’s vinyl, I’d have to walk away.

Its not vinyl its cut into the stone.

Oh it’s stone? I though I saw light shining through lol. It’s late someone will be along here eventually.

@Skipper i dont remember the thread off hand.

@Phoenixwindowsutah
I would post the topic on the PWR forum maybe someone there can lead you to the right process.

Would one restore work @c_wininger?

This is weird but @Alex liked a stone care company on Facebook the other day and it popped up in my feed, I worked at a marble and granite place before, so I checked it out and they definitely have the proper materials, already packaged in a kit. I don’t remember the name maybe @Alex does

You know who might also have a ton of experience working with Stone that has hard water stains would be any grave digger/cemetery worker. I bet those guys clean a lot of stains off from stone.

I believe it’s a marble stone. Thanks for the tips so far if I take the job I’ll update how it goes. Thanks

It was actually @chris who had liked it, it’s Easy Stone Care inc.

Marble you could blast with soda or walnut shells id charge $495. Should take about 25 to 35 minutes to blast maybe less

Me? I’d break out the Stone Pro’s Stone Scrub and a white pad and make some bank. Then I’d upsell a sealer.

1 Like

Has anyone addressed the problem/cause? Is there a sprinkler gone rouge? A marble terrorist holding the city at bay? It’s prolly PETA! Stone is the new test monkey! Lol!

looks like its a water feature with water running down the face?

if it was glass and you had no repercussions, it would be fun to see what winsoll c550 would do

one restore first

same old story

calcium/magnesium easy peasey

silicates permanent or dealing with dissolvers, grinders etc

1 Like

These are great ideas. It’s a water feature in a gym water use to run down it, we have really hard water here in utah. He just wants the hard water removed because he’s not fixing the water pump on the water feature.

Blasting with compositional abrasives, baking soda, or dry ice might be the answer. I would not touch it with acid. Especially if it is marble. This is NOT my field. But I do know that different stone reacts differently to different abrasives and different chems. It looks like Dex knows more than he has told us. I would ask him to give us more info. If your town and surrounding towns has a lot of stone which has been degraded by hard water, this could be a very profitable area of work to get into. If you want to go the expense for the equipment that is. It IS a truly fascinating technology! Definitely go for a sealer if you do the job. Choose the best that will last the longest.

I will never forget a consulting job I did out west once many years ago. Never left my home. The company had used a baking soda (sodium ‘bi’ carbonate) blast to prep aluminum window frames for repainting. The soda got into the cracks, went through a phase shift by reacting with pollution, and prevented any other paint from being used on the frames. All paint just pealed off. I did however locate an epoxy paint which was based on the third best epoxy molecule (there are three). And proved that it would stand up to a supersaturated 50% solution of sodium carbonate (remember the phase shift). It was a lot of fun figuring it all out.

By the way. I have a bright little grandson named Phoenix. I don’t think he knows yet that someone named a town after him. Also. Do you know the legend of the Phoenix?

Henry