Howdy from NW Washington

Greetings all. I’m Ian, and as the title says, I’m located up in beautiful Washington state. I guess a bit of background is obligatory, so here goes. I’ve been bouncing back and forth between window cleaning and metalwork/machining for the last 12 years. I started window washing after getting laid off from the shipyards in Florida. Did lots of residential, tons of high rise (up to 20 stories) and eventually took over the routes for the business. Found it really fit my likes (being outside, meeting people, physical labor). After that I got into machining for 6 years, then moved to Washington where I was back on windows for a short while before again getting into machining and fabrication. Last year my wife surprised me for Christmas with a business license for my own LLC doing windows. I’ve done a few for friends and do the windows in the shop I’m currently in, but more and more I’m thinking of taking the plunge and actually starting my business and building it to the point where I can be fully self employed.
I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions, and maybe a few answers here and there. I’ve been out of the game for a while, so getting back into it and catching up on all the newest gadgets and techniques should be fun. I still know the physical side of the work, but when it comes to the paperwork side, I’m all thumbs, so I’ll be keeping a sharp eye on all the office side conversations.

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum

1 Like

Welcome! NE Washington? So you are around the Spokane/CD’A area? What’s the name of your company?

I have to admit, my iPad auto corrected NW to NE, I’m actually located over on the Olympic peninsula (Port Angeles/Sequim/Port Townsend). My company is “In The Clear Window Washing”. Right now it’s pretty much just a company in name only, as I haven’t quite ventured out and got any accounts yet, just been doing friends houses.

Well there’s plenty of glass over there that’s for sure. Good luck. I don’t know how many window cleaner companies are over in that area but just start out with some cards and nock on some windows. I know over here google has over 20 in this small area

From my little bit of research, and seeing them out and about, I’d say we have maybe half a dozen actual companies. 3 I’ve actually seen vehicles for, 3 or 4 I’ve seen ads for. But, I see many more employees out there busting windows with napkins and windex up and down Main Street. Not to mention, between sequim and Port Townsend, there are literal mansions with dozens, if not 100+ windows, and these people are not afraid to spend money, just gotta get my foot in the door so to speak. Sequim has a “no canvassing” ordinance. Need to figure out a way around that.

Might be some business groups you can get into. Or even some commercial company might need help

The community up here is fairly tight, very neighborly and all, lots of community discussion forums and town fairs and gatherings, so that’s one of my strategies. We also have farmers markets from spring until fall, so I’ll be hitting those come April as well.

3 Likes

The Window Cleaners Marketing Blueprint is a darn good book by @Chris in your down time to help with some idea’s. YouTube is full of good idea’s as well @luke has a good channel. He has a good one on follow ups.

1 Like

I’ve watched several YouTube videos of the business side, and how to map out business plans, bookkeeping, invoices, etc. I’ve never been good with paperwork, but little by little I figure I can teach myself how to do all those things.

There is all the information you need here on the forum, remember you don’t have to recreate the wheel it’s all ready designed with all the upgrades.

The search function is a Great place to start.

Here’s a good category to start researching in…

Hope this helps!

Oh ya if your going to go after residential work this is a MUST have book!!

https://www.windowcleaner.com/free-book

2 Likes

Im about to get the book, would you think the tactics apply to other small businesses or strictly window cleaning?

Yes I believe you can extrapolate ideas from this book for other business.

The principles in this book are a road map to successfully residential business if they are applied.

Welcome! Washington is a beautiful state, nice to meet you :grin:

1 Like

Love that area. Good luck.

Had a smaller client move and retire over there. Happy to give him a call for you.

Probably plenty of retired people. Too old or wife not wanting them on the ladder or roof.

2 Likes

Hey man, loved the back story and looking forward to getting to know you, and if you’re ever in Oregon hit me up!

Salemite here.

Plenty of windows to clean out here, everyone wants clean windows, most just don’t know it yet!!

Check out Wave invoicing, simple easy and VERY VERY HELPFUL! Does invoicing, customer database, accounting, AND ITS ALL FREE!!! a few things you pay for, but its mostly payroll, taking credit cards (nominal fee) CHECK IT OUT!

1 Like

@BlueLightning08 I’m down in Oregon about 5 times a year for motorcycle meets and camping trips. Haven’t made it all the way to Salem yet, usually NoPo or Corvallis.

@DaveYogi Thanks! That would be awesome of you, but I need to wait until I get my license and insurance, and finish gathering tools. Once I get a bit farther along, I’ll definitely get back with you. And yes, TONS of retirees in this area without the ability to do it themselves.

Same in Oregon, This is my main source of income. ANd their word of mouth spreads like cancer!

bumping to saying i got the book from @chris and read through it fast once, has a bunch of great info. My mind was a little blown $23 for in and out 1 window. Didnt know that was possible

Edit: is there a way to access the google drive docs? I have the hard copy

1 Like