Huge break in my new window business

Ive started a brand new business and Ive been trying everything to get things rolling. I’ve been trying everything and I’ve probably only landed 10 storefront accounts making peanuts. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day but at this rate I really am not feeling like this is going to work. I’m taking so much time out of my days (8am-5pm) selling jobs lucky to get 1 or 2 a week. But everything has changed in what seemed like a day! I started reaching out to contractors and developers and I’ve been getting some very interested calls back, asking for quotes and rates and exchanging information. Certain storefronts would tell me that the land lord takes care of it and I ended up getting in touch with him. So in my opinion there’s no way you can build a business doing cold leads going to store front to store front dropping off quotes!!! How did you guys get your business off the ground? Because some of these YouTube guys make it sound so easy and I’m starting to think they are full of it just trying to become YouTube famous or something! Some of the things I hear I can’t help but think “you are so full of it”. Now I’m not talking about everyone there are ALOT of very helpful guys. But I just wish I’d hear more about how they actually got their business of the ground. What big breaks did they get. What did they do that worked because I’m telling ya right now there is no way they built a business doing $20-40 storefront jobs every 2-4 weeks. At $20 a store, 10 stores a day, that’s $200 a day…and you got to fill your week up so at every 2 weeks, that would be 100 store fronts? No wayyyy! Most these store fronts don’t even have the authorization to hire someone to wash windows! It’s all through “corporate” or something.

2 Likes

Hello John and welcome to the forum!

Yes, cold calling has low odds. I get better leads from realtors and other service businesses than I do from cold calling.

Just ask landscapers, handymen, etc. for cards, not just one card. They appreciate being asked to give multiple cards. Then give them several of your cards. If you give them a referral be sure to contact them with the good news, they often reciprocate.

1 Like

Home’s are where the money is. Route work does not pay very much with small jobs.
we did $8,000 in June by myself and I’m 63. It was homes and WFP all outsides!

5 Likes

Here a good link that might help you with your store front sales.

There are many of us that make decent living with route work, remember not every stop is $20. It takes constant pounding the pavement and follow up. Check out this topic to. I hope this helps…

1 Like

Thank you for all the information and articles I’ll be sure to read up on it!

1 Like

Yea I just did a construction residential clean up and made more money doing that and I bid the windows at 1.50 a pane, 3.00 a pane for 2nd story. Walked away with $100 in 2hr 15min. Happy with that

1 Like

Yes I’m learning that. I’m landing way more jobs this way and I’m getting my name out there way better this way!

1 Like

Your welcome I hope it helps. Residential is great to, I justed wanted you to see storefront is possible with a little patience and hard work.

this is not all of our business but we’ve got 50 or so monthly accounts and they total a little over $2000 a month, about 10 we got when we bought another local business, about 10 called us, but the rest came from cold calling. usimg the last week or so as an example, we’ve given out 17 unsolicited estimates and got 1 new customer. the usual rate is between 10-20 unsolicited estimates to get a new customer and we live in an area with a LOT of window cleaners. also, we haven’t followed up with any of those 17, i wouldn’t be surprised if over the next few months we can’t squeeze 1 or 2 more new customers from that list.

1 Like

Granted, I don’t do very much storefront, and Storefront won’t give you one big hit of $ but it will provide stable revenue, maximum visibility that can be leveraged into resi and commercial, is easy to train employees for and has the least expensive equipment requirements.

So hang in there, keep trying to get accounts.

2 Likes

Here’s another link that might help

Wally, heres my deal, prior to starting my own business I was was employed by a large commercial high rise company for 5 years where I started delivering equipment to sites, then washed windows and finally supervising a crew of 25 men. So I had the general knowledge of day to day operations and expectations which may be different than other start ups.

From the beginning my intentions where to mainly do commercial mid and high rise.

Knowing that I was not able to pay my daily bills and be a provider for my family overnight I took small steps.

Knowing storefronts pay the least but are reoccurring was positive for year around income knowing residential and some high rise slow or stop in my area for 3 winter months. Storefront or route work is very low paying per pane in my area due to many reasons and wasn’t worth the effort for me personally.

I solicited my target jobs directly to the contracting department or management company by mailing brochures, while advertising in community paper and passing brochures to homes and builders to develop instant paying customers for cash flow between my larger commercial jobs. Each year is adding on to existing customer base which many business have one time customers and always need to be selling to get jobs.

I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time on many occasions I believe. I am from a state that has the worst safety record around, with that gave me my selling point to these commercial jobs. I did quality work and rarely received complaints which is unheard of for large campuses in my area.

Pricing did start low and did need to be adjusted but customers found value in the services we provided and we never struggled with that.

We just do a good job, get in and out of the properties as quickly as possible without causing any disturbances to the daily operations of the properties were service, yes simple as that.

It wont come easy or quickly but just keep up the effort and each year gets easier. We haven’t advertised for 10 years and still increase our annual sales each year from referrals alone.

Do a good job and do what you say you will.

This worked for me but not many here have the same target customer as I do.

1 Like

Focus on residential

Split your time from canvessing storefronts and residential . When you do1 job , let everyone know you’re the guy that did that job . Pass cards to the neighboring stores and homes .

You just have to scrape and claw your first 2 years and don’t give up .

3 Likes